Solving Problems 3 & 4: Looking for Alternatives

• Thread starter nevadosajama
  • Start date
In summary, Phantom Jay says that although the method he is using looks perfect, he will try another method that is easier to follow.
nevadosajama
Hi Guys attached is a pdf file with some problems that I've been solving, my question is if there is a better and/or different way to solve problems 3 and 4 (variations included).
Thanks in advance and cheers:cool:

Attachments

• problems.pdf
    139.6 KB · Views: 5,036
Physics news on Phys.org
On problem 3, you made a typo somewhere on your givens: In one place you say P3 is 1300 pounds, in another, you say its 1800 pounds.

I don't see your work in the attachment. Looks like you're finding the force in each section, then what? I assume you're adding/subtracting the deformations for each segment based on the internal forces in that section over that segment length?? If so, that's OK, but alternatively, you could just find the deformation at the end of the bar for each load P1, P2, and P3 separately, then add them up by superposition. This avoids having to find the internal forces . Just saves a small step, but the internal forces are good to know anyway, but this alternate approach will serve as a check. And my guess that this alternate approach is easier when you attempt to solve the value of P3 that will give zero total deformation.

I haven't looked at (4) yet... perhaps someone else will if I don't get to it.

Oh BTW, welcome to PF!

Thanks Phantom Jay, yep, you're right I made a typo on the pdf file, (the pdf file is my work, I created the graphics on Deneba Canvas, and saved on pdf), I'll try your advice.
Thanks

nevadosajama said:
Thanks Phantom Jay, yep, you're right I made a typo on the pdf file, (the pdf file is my work, I created the graphics on Deneba Canvas, and saved on pdf), I'll try your advice.
Thanks
I looked at number 4, and although I didn't check your numbers, your method looks perfect. I must also say that the clarity and neatness and presentation of your work is amongst the best I've ever seen. Nice job!

1. What is the importance of looking for alternatives when solving a problem?

Looking for alternatives is important because it allows for a more thorough and creative approach to problem-solving. It helps to avoid a narrow-minded perspective and consider different options that may lead to a more effective solution.

2. How do I identify potential alternatives to solve a problem?

To identify potential alternatives, you can brainstorm with a group or on your own. You can also research similar problems that have been solved in the past and analyze the strategies used. Additionally, you can seek input from others who have experience in the field or have faced similar problems.

3. What should I consider when evaluating alternatives for a problem?

When evaluating alternatives, it's important to consider the feasibility, practicality, and potential effectiveness of each option. You should also take into account any potential risks or drawbacks associated with each alternative.

4. How do I choose the best alternative to solve a problem?

The best alternative should be chosen based on the criteria set during the evaluation process. Consider the potential benefits and drawbacks of each option and determine which one aligns best with the desired outcome. It may also be helpful to seek input from others or conduct a trial run before making a final decision.

5. What if I am unable to find a suitable alternative to solve a problem?

If you are unable to find a suitable alternative, it's important to reassess the problem and determine if there are any other factors that may be affecting the search for alternatives. You can also seek advice from colleagues or experts in the field for potential solutions that you may have overlooked.