1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mech. Materials

1. Jul 28, 2008 #1
    Hi Guys attached is a pdf file with some problems that I've been solving, my question is if there is a better and/or different way to solve problems 3 and 4 (variations included).
    Thanks in advance and cheers:cool:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2008 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

On problem 3, you made a typo somewhere on your givens: In one place you say P3 is 1300 pounds, in another, you say its 1800 pounds.

I don't see your work in the attachment. Looks like you're finding the force in each section, then what? I assume you're adding/subtracting the deformations for each segment based on the internal forces in that section over that segment length?? If so, that's OK, but alternatively, you could just find the deformation at the end of the bar for each load P1, P2, and P3 separately, then add them up by superposition. This avoids having to find the internal forces . Just saves a small step, but the internal forces are good to know anyway, but this alternate approach will serve as a check. And my guess that this alternate approach is easier when you attempt to solve the value of P3 that will give zero total deformation.

I haven't looked at (4) yet..... perhaps someone else will if I don't get to it.

Oh BTW, welcome to PF!

4. Jul 28, 2008 #3
    Thanks Phantom Jay, yep, you're right I made a typo on the pdf file, (the pdf file is my work, I created the graphics on Deneba Canvas, and saved on pdf), I'll try your advice.
    Thanks

5. Jul 28, 2008 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I looked at number 4, and although I didn't check your numbers, your method looks perfect. I must also say that the clarity and neatness and presentation of your work is amongst the best I've ever seen. Nice job!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?