Mechanical Engineering Tools: Real World Resources

In summary, - Mechanical engineers use various software tools such as 3D CAD, FEA, and CFD to design and analyze components. - Some commonly used software includes ANSYS, FLUENT, and SolidWorks. - Reference books may also be used, but the specific ones depend on the type of mechanical engineering job. - Other tools may include calculators, fasteners, and company standards.
CERNboson
Any practicing mechanical engineers post some internet links or tools used on the job?

Would be much appreciated thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you mean tools?

Do you want a link to my software library or to a description of the stuff in my toolbox? Or perhaps you're just looking for a good pen and pencil manufacturer?

What do you use to design what you make, yeah software library is good. What books do you reference for your specific field?

I'm an Aerospace Engineer, who writes software.

Perhaps you should outline exactly what aspect you want to know about.

Software used to design a component isn't the same thing as software used to design a user interface - so you really need to narrow it down.

What books do I reference? Again, very broad and for the most part they are programming related.

CERNboson said:
Any practicing mechanical engineers post some internet links or tools used on the job?

Would be much appreciated thanks.

Welcome to the PF.

I'm an EE, but some of the cooler things that our ME group gets to work with is 3D Printer systems for prototyping plastic parts. We have several, but this is the one that is getting the most use at the moment:

http://www.3dsystems.com/products/sla/viper/index.asp

So the MEs design the parts in 3D CAD software (typically AutoCAD and some other packages), and use the 3D Printer to prototype a few parts. They can then assemble a product to see how it all goes together, and fine tune the design iteratively. Cool stuff.

Sorry for being kinda broad, I am not trying to be specific, i want to know generally. You don't go straight out of college with a pen and paper and design a turbine, you have tools to help you model stresses, fluid dynamics, books to help you. I know there are a lot of different types of mechanical engineers.

I guess a good layout would be

Type of engineer/job:

Tools used:

?

@CERNboson. As a design engineer you will need first and foremost your creative genius. After coming up with your design concepts, you then carry out analysis, for stress analysis you can use FEA softwares i.e finite element analysis or you can also perform ur analysis using all u have learned in school in solid mechanics. For fluid systems you can use CFD softwares. If your analysis suggests that your concept is good u then make 2D & 3D drawings of your concept. Depending on the kind of project, you may simulate the design in action using simulation softwares like SolidWorks Simulation or you may build a prototype to test your design and ensure that it will really work and be safe. You will also carry out manufacturing drawings. I hope this gives u direction.

In summary,
FEA softwares: ANSYS, FEMtools, ANSA.

CFD softwares: FLUENT, FLUIDYN.

Drafting softwares: SolidWorks, Pro/E, Autodesk Inventor, AutoCAD.

Other analysis tools are MATLAB, MATCAD,
You can google these sofwares for more details.

California Civil PE Tools (Hospital Design):

1. AISC 13th Edition
2. AISI NASPEC - 2007 Edition
3. ASCE Standard 7-5 & 7-10
4. 2010 CBC & 2007 CBC
5. RISA-3D
6. Mathcad 14
7. Hilti PROFIS Anchor
8. Powers Design Assist
9. TI-85 Calculator
10. Autocad
11. Navisworks Manage
12. Various component ESR reports.
13. OSHPD website
14. Archive of OSHPD CAN's (code application notices)
15. Plotter capable of 30x42 prints
16. PE & SE Stamps
17. Lack of sanity.

California Mechanical PE tools:
1. Most of above.
2. ASHRAE Handbooks (series of 4)
3. ASME B31.1, B31.3 & B31.9
4. AutoPIPE/Caesar II
5. AutoCAD MEP
6. Machinery's Handbook
7. Any machine component design book from college. (Shigley's?)

Mechanical Engineer (Machine component design) for Semiconductor Capital Equipment:
1. Solidworks
2. Solidworks
3. Copy of companies fastener, machining, welding, fabrication standards
4. Copy of companies dimensioning practices and typical sheet note call outs.
5. Mcmaster-Carr
6. Power Point & Excel
7. Calculator & equations optional
8. ASME Y14.5-2009 optional

Thanks Jehake12 and Xandro101, that is exactly what I am talking about!

Related to Mechanical Engineering Tools: Real World Resources

What is mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, construction, and use of machines and mechanical systems. It involves the application of principles from physics, materials science, and mathematics to create innovative solutions for real-world problems.

What are some common tools used in mechanical engineering?

Some common tools used in mechanical engineering include wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, drills, calipers, micrometers, and various power tools. These tools are used for measuring, cutting, drilling, fastening, and shaping various materials.

How do mechanical engineering tools differ from other engineering tools?

Mechanical engineering tools are specifically designed for use in the design and construction of mechanical systems and machines. They often involve precise measurements and calculations, and are built to withstand heavy usage. Other engineering tools may be more specialized for specific fields such as civil engineering or electrical engineering.

What are some real-world applications of mechanical engineering tools?

Mechanical engineering tools have a wide range of real-world applications, including the design and construction of vehicles, machinery, manufacturing processes, and consumer products. They are also used in industries such as aerospace, energy, and robotics.

How can I learn more about mechanical engineering tools?

There are many resources available for learning about mechanical engineering tools, including textbooks, online tutorials, and hands-on workshops. Many universities also offer courses and degree programs in mechanical engineering. It is also helpful to gain practical experience through internships or working on projects with experienced engineers.