Mechanical vs. electric coolant pumps

In summary, many production vehicles rely on electric pumps to replace mechanical ones. The automatic control is usually implemented with PWM.
Zirkus
Hi everyone, I am conducting a small research on how many manufacturers (if any) use electric water pumps in production vehicles. So far I found that many Audi models have auxiliary electric pumps which help the main mechanical one when needed (and maybe to run for some minute after turning the engine off) and also that the Toyota Prius runs an electric pump. Apart from that i found many companies selling electric pumps to replace mechanical ones in high performance vehicles (Meziere, CSR atc.). Do you know about any production vehicle relying solely on an electric pump? I would also be interested in how the control is designed, namely if you still need a thermostat (I think yes) and how it would be adjusted so as not to conflict with controlling the pump flow rate. Thanks for any answers/tips/links!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can't tell you how many are currently using it, and I'm not inclined to look. You can already see electric and hybrids using them, as they have the battery capacity to do so (so it's a logical step). I'm fairly sure that new efficient dynamics BMWs are running electric power steering and coolant pumps.

But in the effort to reduce parasitic drag (for emissions/fuel consumption targets) all manufacturers will be moving almost all front end auxiliary components to electric drive.

http://papers.sae.org/2004-01-0596/

Thank you Chris, it does indeed seem to be a trend for the future. However I haven't yet found any description of how the automatic control is implemented (PWM presumably, but that doesn't say much). Any tips where and how to look please? Googling "vehicle with electric water pump" is not too effective I have found :p As for my motivation: I want to find an electric pump with flow at least 100 litres/min from a production car of which at least 2500 pieces were sold. It doesn't look like a too hard task, but I just can't figure out how to look. Thanks again...

1. What is the main difference between mechanical and electric coolant pumps?

Mechanical coolant pumps are driven by a belt or pulley system connected to the engine, while electric coolant pumps are powered by electricity.

2. Which type of coolant pump is more efficient?

Electric coolant pumps are generally more efficient because they only operate when needed and do not rely on the engine for power.

3. Can I upgrade from a mechanical to an electric coolant pump?

Yes, it is possible to upgrade from a mechanical to an electric coolant pump, but it may require additional modifications and wiring.

4. Are there any advantages of using a mechanical coolant pump?

Mechanical coolant pumps are simpler and less expensive to manufacture and replace. They also do not require electricity to operate.

5. Which type of coolant pump is more commonly used in modern vehicles?

Electric coolant pumps are becoming more common in modern vehicles due to their efficiency and ability to regulate coolant flow more precisely.