Mechanics Projectile Motion Question

In summary, the person is seeking help with a question involving projectile motion in A2 maths and is struggling to find the answer using the 5 equations of motion. They have provided the initial information and have been given a tip to find the time and initial velocity. They have successfully found the answer and thank the person who helped them.
Antagonist
Hi,

I am new here and I am doing A-Level Maths and Physics. I am currently having trouble in A2 maths. I am doing M2 and am doing projectile motion.
This is the question I am having trouble with:

A tennis ball is served horizontally from a height of 2.3m and it strikes the ground at a point 28m away from the server. Find its height when it passes the net 12m from the server.

I have been trying to work it out but the 5 equations of motion do not seem to work as I do not have enough information. All they give me in this questions is distances. What is the velocity(initial and final), time and most importantly the answer to the question. I am not sure if the velocity and time is needed for the answer. This is probably very simple but its stumped me. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

--Antagonist

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the height of the net?
EDIT:
OK, sorry about that, you don't need it.
Now, the ball is launched horizontally, that is has zero vertical velocity to begin with.
Hence, you may find the time the ball strikes the ground.
Secondly, since you know it has traveled horizontally 28 meters, you may solve for initial velocity.

Last edited:
I followed your instructions and that led me to the answer. I figured out the time and initial velocity and then found out the time for it to travel 12m using the initial velocity I found out earlier. Then I found out the distance it fell using the time and acceleration due to gravity. Finally I subtracted the distance it fell from the beginning distance and that is the answer. :)

Thanks arildno for your help

--Antagonist

No prob.
Welcome to PF!

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, where the only force acting on the object is gravity. The object follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What are the key principles of projectile motion?

The key principles of projectile motion are the independence of horizontal and vertical motion, the constant acceleration due to gravity, and the symmetrical nature of the path.

3. How is the velocity of a projectile calculated?

The velocity of a projectile can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time elapsed.

4. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, the angle of launch, the mass of the object, and the presence of air resistance. These factors can alter the shape and distance of the projectile's path.

5. How can we analyze the motion of a projectile?

The motion of a projectile can be analyzed using mathematical equations and graphical representations, such as position-time and velocity-time graphs. These tools can help us determine the initial velocity, maximum height, and range of the projectile.