Mechanics question-Momentum&F=ur

• Thread starter thebestrc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation discusses a mechanics question about momentum and force in an ice hockey scenario. The problem involves finding the acceleration, minimum force, momentum, friction force, and coefficient of kinetic friction. The conversation provides equations and solutions for each part of the problem.
thebestrc
[SOLVED] Mechanics question-Momentum&F=ur

Homework Statement

An ice hockey player is required to strike a puck having a mass of 1.2 kg, so that it is
accelerated uniformly from rest across a smooth ice rink surface so as to cover a distance of 25 m in 8 s.
The puck travels another 8 m before coming to a rest. Determine (a) the
acceleration that the puck has to experience, (b) the minimum force the ice hockey player has to apply to the puck to achieve this acceleration, (c) the momentum of the puck at the end of the 8 s period, (d) the frictional force that brings the puck to rest, and (e) the coefficient of kinetic friction between the ice and the puck.

Homework Equations

[tex]s=ut+1/2at^2[/tex]
[tex]F=\mu R[/tex]
[tex]f=ma[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)use the formula shown above u=0 t=8s s=25m therefore simply substitue into equation a=-0.78125
(b)use 3rd equation m=1.2kg a=-0.78125 f=0.9375N
(c)momentum is g=mv . Once again substitute values into equation. m=1.2kg v=6.25m/s found out by using s=1/2 (u+v)t g=7.5kg m/s
(d)&(e). Both use the 2nd formula but I'm unsure as how to go about it. I know R=mg. but F can't be the same as in f=ma can it?

Also check over the other stuff too please for any mistakes thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For (d) you know the puck comes to rest in 8m from the speed you calculated above. You need to use the kinematic equations to find a and then F. Once you find F you can use the second equation to get [itex]\mu[/itex].

oh ok. that means that the new acceleration [tex]a_2=-0.59185606[/tex] found by using the equation [tex]v^2=u^2 + 2as[/tex] (u=6.25m/s s=33 v=0) when inserted into f=ma gives me [tex]f_2=-0.710227272[/tex] then inserting that into [tex]F=\mu R[/tex] gives me [tex]\mu=-0.060331912[/tex].

Is the working out for the other parts of the question right too?

Last edited:
Seems to be but I'm not sure why your acceleration in the first is negative. The question is a bit weird looking at it again. It assumes no friction for the first part then suddenly friction comes into slow it down. Oh well. :smile:

i probably messed up somewhere. Thanks for the help much appreciated.

1. What is momentum in mechanics?

Momentum is a measurement of an object's motion, and it is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum calculated in mechanics?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v), using the formula p = m * v. The standard unit of momentum is kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).

3. How is momentum conserved in mechanics?

In mechanics, the law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, meaning it does not change, unless acted upon by an external force. This means that the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.

4. What is the relationship between force and momentum in mechanics?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force (F) is equal to the rate of change of an object's momentum (p) over time (t). This can be expressed as F = dp/dt. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater the change in its momentum.

5. What are some real-life examples of momentum in mechanics?

Some examples of momentum in mechanics include a moving car, a thrown baseball, and a swinging pendulum. In each of these cases, the objects have both mass and velocity, which contribute to their momentum. Other examples include a rocket launching into space and a train moving down a track.