1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics question

1. Mar 2, 2005 #1
    This question is just a practice for creating equations for suiting situations but i feel as if I've taken the completely wrong appoach..

Two cars begin to move toward each other simultaneously along a straight road. Car 1 starts from point A at a speed of V1; Car 2 starts at point B at a speed V2.The acceleration of car 1 is a1; it is directed toward A,
    The acceleration of car 2 is a2; it is directed toward B. In the process of motion, the cars meet twice; the time interval between the meetings is t. Find the distance between A and B.

Some help would be great, so far my approach was using kinematic formulas.

I finished with [tex]D = \sqrt{\frac{Vi1*T*a1*T^2}{Vi2*T*a2*T} } [/tex]

Sorry about the mathlatex in currently reading the guide.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2005 #2
    The units in your result don't agree. They are ms, and not m.

I came up with this formula:

[tex]D = \frac{(v_{01} + v_{02})^2 - (\frac{a_1 + a_2}{2\Delta t})^2}{2(a_1 + a_2)}[/tex]
  4. Mar 2, 2005 #3
    Your Answer looks quite well thought out, could you please give some explanations of how you reached it :)?
  5. Mar 2, 2005 #4
    Express the positions x of both vehicles in terms of time. Equalize them, and you get a quadratic equation for time, that of course gives two results. Then, the procedure is simple:

[tex]\Delta t = \frac{\sqrt{\Delta}}{a}[/tex]

Both Delta and a will contain the quantities D, a1, a2, v01, v02. So, solve for D to arrive at that result.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?