How Can You Solve Challenging Mechanics Problems?

In Summary, the person has attempted to work out the time to be 120s using a diagram and orking out resultsnt vectors. They tried doing the second part but got it wrong, their answer was massively out so they thought they must be doing it wrong and wanted to know how.
magicuniverse
Can you help me with some of these questions? I can't do the second part of Q1!

Attachments

• mecch05.pdf
    175.8 KB · Views: 214
Physics news on Phys.org
magicuniverse,

This is the second thread you've started where you haven't shown any work. Can I remind you that you are required to show the you have attempted any homework before posting as well as detailing any thoughts you have on your problem.

"I have no idea!" doesn't count as detailing your thoughts.

Well its not homework for a start. This is revision for an exam so by explaining/hinting at a method you arnt going to be put me at an unfair advantge.

magicuniverse said:
Well its not homework for a start. This is revision for an exam so by explaining/hinting at a method you arnt going to be put me at an unfair advantge.
Okay, so what have you done so far in question (1)?

I have worked out the time to be 120s with the use of a diagram and orking out resultsnt vectors. Tried doing the second part but got it wrong, my answer was massively out so I though that I must be doing it worng and wanted to know how.

magicuniverse said:
I have worked out the time to be 120s with the use of a diagram and orking out resultsnt vectors. Tried doing the second part but got it wrong, my answer was massively out so I though that I must be doing it worng and wanted to know how.
May i see your attempt?

Hootenanny said:
May i see your attempt?

Yer but you can't see my diagram as I can't get it on here.

Basically know that the currrent will drag the bo down, but the boy can swim upwards at 1m/s so if he can swim to the west at 3 m/s his velocity will be root(10) (from pythagorus) we then divide the distance 200m by root10. This comes out with 63.25s rather than the required 89.4s.

magicuniverse said:
Yer but you can't see my diagram as I can't get it on here.

Basically know that the currrent will drag the bo down, but the boy can swim upwards at 1m/s so if he can swim to the west at 3 m/s his velocity will be root(10) (from pythagorus) we then divide the distance 200m by root10. This comes out with 63.25s rather than the required 89.4s.
But surely if he swims at a speed of [itex]\sqrt{10}[/itex] m/s, that would mean that he is swimming at an angle of [itex]\tan^{-1}(1/3) \approx 18^o[/itex] above due west and would therefore miss the buoy?

In addition, the the boy's maximum speed relative to the water is 3 m/s.

Last edited:
I figured that the current was pulling him down? Il have alook at it, thanks.

magicuniverse said:
I figured that the current was pulling him down? Il have alook at it, thanks.
Note my second point above, the boy's total speed cannot exceed 3 m/s

Thanks I have to got the answer to 200/root(5), your time is appretiated. Any help with question 2 would be appretiated now thanks.

magicuniverse said:
Thanks I have to got the answer to 200/root(5), your time is appretiated.
Good, and no problem :smile:
magicuniverse said:
Any help with question 2 would be appretiated now thanks.
What have you attempted thus far?

What is the "Mechanics Revision Thread"?

The "Mechanics Revision Thread" is a platform where scientists and researchers can discuss and review the principles and concepts of mechanics, which is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and motion of objects.

Why is it important to revise mechanics?

Revising mechanics is important because it helps scientists and researchers to better understand the fundamental principles and laws that govern the physical world. It also allows for the improvement and development of new theories and technologies.

Who can participate in the "Mechanics Revision Thread"?

Anyone with a background in mechanics or a strong interest in the subject can participate in the "Mechanics Revision Thread". This includes scientists, researchers, students, and enthusiasts.

What topics are typically covered in the "Mechanics Revision Thread"?

The "Mechanics Revision Thread" covers a wide range of topics, including but not limited to Newton's laws of motion, energy, work, power, momentum, and rotational motion. It also includes discussions on applications of mechanics, such as fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromechanics.

How can I contribute to the "Mechanics Revision Thread"?

You can contribute to the "Mechanics Revision Thread" by actively participating in discussions, asking and answering questions, sharing your knowledge and insights, and providing feedback and suggestions for improvement. Your contributions will help to enrich and enhance the overall learning experience for everyone involved.