Mechanism for methylbenzoate, help

• Thread starter justinbaker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanism
In summary, the first step is the addition of MgBr to the ester, Ph2C(OMgBr)-OMe. This reaction causes the formation of Ph2C(OH)-OMe. The second step is the addition of MeOMgBr to form the triphenylmethoxide-MgBr salt. Hydrolysis of this salt yields triphenylmethanol.
justinbaker
Methylbenzoate reacted with excess phenylmagnesium bromide, forms the salt of triphenylmethanol.

I need help figuring out this mechanism.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
PhMgBr rxns are pretty straightforward as are most Grignard Reagent rxns. What you should know is that the PhMgBr reagent is polar with a +ve charge on Mg and a negative one on Ph, or I should say it behaves this way in reactions. In case of a -C=O you simply shift the pi electrons towards the carbonylic oxygen and show the attack of the nucleophile Ph- on C and that of (MgBr)+ on the oxygen I think. Here however you have a benzoate (ester) group, vis. PhCOOMe. So this: http://chemistry2.csudh.edu/rpendarvis/carb-enolate.html#estergrig will be useful I think.

Cheers
Vivek

Last edited by a moderator:
maverick, i think i understand how to do it now. but what it the structure of the salt. i know i could get the entire mechanism if i only knew the structure. thanks for your help

anyone know what the structure is?

I think it would be Ph3COMgBr, but I'm not sure. These salts hydrolize easily in the presence of water so you very rarely isolate them.

Hello, triphenylmethanol has the structure Ph3COH. It is probably formed from the nucleophilic attack of phenylmagnesium onto positive carboxy carbon.

In the first step, Ph2C(OMgBr)-OMe is formed, then with somewhat acidic hydrolysis, it converts to Ph2C(OH)-OMe. Acidic attack continue onto methoxy group especially, due to its more basic nature; so after a series of methanol and water eliminations, we can get Ph2C+. This may also be attacked by phenyl anion from another phenylmagnesium bromide molecule, to give Ph3C+ cation. This, when exposed to water, eventually may yield Ph3C-OH and H+.

I think this mechanism is plausible, of course more logical ones may be proposed.

Regards, chem_tr

Last edited:
Well, Grignards won't work if you have any acidic protons around, so I think that after the first step of chem_tr's mechanism it would collapse to the ketone (benzophenone) and MeOMgBr. The ketone could then be attacked by another equivalent of the Grignard reagent to form the triphenylmethoxide-MgBr salt. Final hydrolysis would give triphenylmethanol. So the oxygen in the final product would come from the carbonyl of the starting material, not from the water. However, it is possible for the oxygen to exchange with water from the workup, since the triphenylmethyl cation is highly stabilized. I am not familiar with any experiments that test this, but it would be easy enough to perform with oxygen-18 labeling.

Yes, there are some uncertain points in my mechanism, and I agree with you, Movies, about 18O labelling to clear the reactions.

Why don't you try observing the mechanism of the grinard reaction yourself? The first reaction involves an addition-elimination mechanism while the second simply involves addition to create the alcohol. It's pretty simple.

Related to Mechanism for methylbenzoate, help

1. What is methylbenzoate?

Methylbenzoate is an organic compound with the chemical formula C8H8O2. It is commonly used as a flavoring agent and has a sweet, fruity odor.

2. What is the mechanism for methylbenzoate?

The mechanism for methylbenzoate involves the reaction between benzoic acid and methanol in the presence of a strong acid catalyst, such as sulfuric acid. This results in the formation of methylbenzoate and water.

3. What is the purpose of using sulfuric acid in the mechanism for methylbenzoate?

Sulfuric acid acts as a catalyst in the reaction between benzoic acid and methanol. It helps to lower the activation energy required for the reaction to occur, making it faster and more efficient.

4. How does the formation of methylbenzoate relate to esterification?

The reaction between benzoic acid and methanol to form methylbenzoate is an example of esterification. This process involves the condensation of an alcohol and a carboxylic acid to form an ester and water.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when working with methylbenzoate?

Yes, methylbenzoate is a flammable and potentially hazardous chemical. It is important to wear proper protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling it. It should also be stored in a cool, dry place away from sources of ignition.