What is the Median of a Quadratic Function f(x) with a Given Range and Area?

In summary, the equation for the function f(x) is y= 2(1- x) which is a straight line from (0, 2) to (k, 2(1- k)). The median is at x= 1/2 and the area under the line is the area of the triangle with height 2 and base 1. If k< 1, the area under the line is the area of the trapezoid with bases 2 and 2(1- k) and height k.
Maatttt0

Homework Statement

Given that:

f(x) = 2(1-x) for 0 < x < k
...0 for otherwise

sketch the graph of f(x) and find:

(i) the value of k,

(ii) the median of x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) I sketched the graph and got a line from (0,2) to (1,0) which has an area of 1, so k = 1.

(ii) [tex]^{}M[/tex][tex]_{}0[/tex][tex]\int[/tex](2 - 2x) = 1/2
The code is messing up but intergation of (2 - 2x) with m (median) as the top limit and 0 being the bottom one and it = 1/2

[2x - x^2]m0 = 1/2

2m - m2 = 1/2

I'm stuck on getting m separated as it's a negative square

Help me please :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Try arranging the equation so all terms are on one side.

You don't really need to integrate to get this. y= 2(1- x) is a straight line from (0, 2) to (k, 2(1- k)).

If k= 1, the area under it is the area of the triangle with height 2 and base 1 and so area (1/2)(2)(1= 1. That is what we need to have in order to have a valid probability distribution.

As a check, if k< 1, the area under the line is the area of the trapezoid with bases 2 and 2(1- k) and height k. It's area is k(2+ 2(1- k))/2= k(4- 2k)/2= k(2- k) and we want that equal to 1. [itex]k(2- k)= 2k- k^2= 1[/itex] is the same as [itex]k^2- 2k+ 1= (k- 1)^2= 0[/itex]. As before, it reduces to k= 1, the triangle case.
(You say "I sketched the graph and got a line from (0,2) to (1,0)". Well, you couldn't know it would be a line from (0, 2) to (1, 0) until after you knew that k= 1.)

Now the median is where the area both left and right is equal to 1/2. If we take that to be at "x", then we have a triangle on the right with base 1- x and height 2(1- x) which has area [itex](1/2)(1-x)(2(1-x))= (1- x)^2[/itex] and we want that equal to 1/2: [itex](1- x)^2= 2[/itex]. Solve that for x.

If you really want to integrate, you are integrating
[tex]\int_0^x 2(1- t)dt= 2 \int_0^x 1- t dt= 2\left(x- (1/2)x^2)= 1/2[/itex]] which gives the same result.

You can simplify that integral by letting u= 1- t so that du= -dt, when t= 0, u= 1 and when t= x, u= 1- x. Now the integral is [itex]2\int_0^{1- x}u^2du= 1/2[/=itex], giving, again, the same result.

Thanks for the input to both of you :)

I understand now thanks, HallsOfIvy :smile: woo!

Related to What is the Median of a Quadratic Function f(x) with a Given Range and Area?

1. What is the definition of the median of f(x) - quadratic?

The median of f(x) - quadratic is the value in the middle of the set of data points, when the data is arranged in ascending or descending order. For a quadratic function, the median represents the point where the parabola crosses the x-axis.

2. How do you find the median of f(x) - quadratic?

To find the median of f(x) - quadratic, you can set the function equal to 0 and solve for x using the quadratic formula. The resulting value of x will be the median point on the x-axis.

3. Can the median of f(x) - quadratic be negative?

Yes, the median of f(x) - quadratic can be negative. This means that the parabola crosses the x-axis at a point with a negative x-value.

4. What does the median of f(x) - quadratic tell us about the function?

The median of f(x) - quadratic tells us the point on the x-axis where the function crosses and changes from positive to negative (or vice versa). It also gives us an idea of the symmetry of the parabola.

5. Is the median of f(x) - quadratic the same as the average of its roots?

No, the median of f(x) - quadratic and the average of its roots are not the same. The median represents a single point on the x-axis, while the average of the roots represents the average of two points on the x-axis where the function crosses the x-axis.