How Can the Linear Density be Determined Experimentally in Melde's Lab?

• Thread starter NIZBIT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary, the conversation is about a lab that explores the relationship between frequency and tension for a standing wave. The main question is how to determine the linear density experimentally, since the necessary measurements were not made. The solution is to weigh the string and measure its length.
NIZBIT
This lab is basically the relationship between frequency and tension for a standing wave. One question I have though. In the lab I'm doing it states, "Calculate the linear density and determine it experimentally..." Calculating it is no problem, but how can I determine it experimentally? We never weighed or measured the total length of the string so I don't see how this can be done

Physics news on Phys.org
NIZBIT said:
This lab is basically the relationship between frequency and tension for a standing wave. One question I have though. In the lab I'm doing it states, "Calculate the linear density and determine it experimentally..." Calculating it is no problem, but how can I determine it experimentally? We never weighed or measured the total length of the string so I don't see how this can be done
You have to weigh the string and measure its length.

AM

Thats what I thought and we never made those measurements. Time to yell at the teacher.

What is Melde's Lab?

Melde's Lab is a scientific laboratory that specializes in studying various natural phenomena, such as the behavior of waves and vibrations.

Who is Melde?

Heinrich Rudolf Hertz, also known as Heinrich Hertz, was a German physicist who conducted pioneering research on electromagnetic waves. The unit of frequency, Hertz (Hz), is named after him.

What are some common experiments conducted in Melde's Lab?

Some common experiments conducted in Melde's Lab include the study of standing waves on strings, the behavior of vibrating plates, and the properties of sound waves.

What is the significance of Melde's Lab in the field of science?

Melde's Lab has made significant contributions to the understanding of waves and vibrations, which has had practical applications in fields such as acoustics, seismology, and telecommunications. It has also paved the way for further research and advancements in these areas.

Can anyone visit Melde's Lab?

Melde's Lab is a dedicated scientific research facility and is not open to the general public. Only authorized personnel and researchers are allowed to enter and conduct experiments in the lab.