Memory, Entropy and the Arrow of Time

In summary: The more complex the system, the greater the chance that some part of it will have to be erased in order to establish the correlation. So, yes, remember what you ate for lunch yesterday? Sure, if you can remember that it involved a complex system with lots of correlated states. If you can remember that it involved a single, low-entropy state (like remembering your phone number), forget it.In summary, Sean Carroll has stated several times that the reason we can remember the past and not the future is because entropy is increasing, i.e. because there is an arrow of time. Is this statement justifiable?Yes, entropy is an important concept and is used to explain many things
madness
Sean Carroll has stated several times that the reason we can remember the past and not the future is because entropy is increasing, i.e. because there is an arrow of time. Is this statement justifiable?

Remember that life and its processes, including memory, require negentropy. In other words, memory as a process involves a net decrease of entropy in the brain. While it is true that this decrease in entropy must be offset somewhere else (e.g. in the sun), I still find it quite misleading to claim that memory is possible only due to a decrease in entropy. The important point is that memories are formed via a decrease in entropy within the brain rather than an increase.

What do you think? Did Sean Carroll not think this one through, or am I missing something?

Science news on Phys.org
madness said:
memory as a process involves a net decrease of entropy in the brain

No, it doesn't. The entropy increase involved in the chemical reactions that allow the brain to store memories more than compensates for the entropy decrease of the information storage. Similar arguments apply to, say, a computer storing information in its RAM, or writing information to a storage device.

I think there is frequent confusion about entropy. The short version is entropy is the ability to do work, and work is any process that reduces the ability to do more work. Complexity requires work and decreases the ability to do more work. The burning of hydrogen produces water. Water does not burn, so you have decreased the ability of the hydrogen and oxygen present in water to do more work. On the other hand, water molecules are more complex than either hydrogen or oxygen molecules. Does the relative complexity of a water molecule imply a decrease in entropy? Of course not. Similarly, does memory decrease entropy in the brain? The brain requires energy to create a memory and it would be easy to argue a memory is merely the waste product of the memory process. The complexity of memory no more reflects a decrease in entropy than a water molecule.

PeterDonis - of course I wasn't claiming that entropy doesn't decrease globally. I stated that the sun provides the excess entropy increase to allow living processes to occur. If you are correct that memory storage involves a net increase in entropy from chemical reactions in the brain, it doesn't make any difference to what I was saying. The point is that the memory engram as an isolated system involves a decrease in entropy, which is offset by an increase elsewhere. This almost implies that we can remember the past but not the future despite the arrow of time, rather than because of it.

Chronos - surely a water molecule does have a lower entropy compared to individual atoms? It's just that it was created in a process which involved a net increase in entropy?

madness said:
If you are correct that memory storage involves a net increase in entropy from chemical reactions in the brain, it doesn't make any difference to what I was saying.

Yes, it does. The chemical reactions aren't taking place in the Sun; they're taking place in your brain, at the same place where the information is being stored. Entropy increase is local, not global.

madness said:
The point is that the memory engram as an isolated system involves a decrease in entropy, which is offset by an increase elsewhere.

No, this is not correct; storing the memory involves a pair of locally coupled processes (memory storage and chemical reaction to provide energy) which are a net increase in entropy, locally.

Right, but the actual memory engram which allows you to remember something is a lower entropy state the state without the engram. While it is true that there is a net increase in entropy involved in generating that engram, it is specifically the lower entropy of the engram which allows the memory to be recalled.

If you disagree with this, could you offer an explanation as to why an increase in entropy would allow someone to remember the past and not the future?

madness said:
the actual memory engram which allows you to remember something is a lower entropy state the state without the engram.

Is it? In order to call that isolated system a "memory" of anything, it must be correlated with other systems; more precisely, it must be correlated with the past states of other systems. For example, if I remember what I had for lunch yesterday, it's because some part of my current brain state is correlated with some part of yesterday's state (the part that specifies what I had for lunch then). The process of establishing that correlation increases entropy, because it's irreversible: in order to correlate some part of my brain state with what I had for lunch, whatever was previously stored in that part of my brain state has to be erased, so that information about it is lost.

(Note that what was previously "stored" might not have been a memory--it might have just been random data in a "memory cell" in my brain that hadn't yet been allocated, like free space on a hard drive. But that random data was still a *particular* piece of random data, different from all the other possible pieces of random data that could have occupied that memory cell, and the information about which particular piece of data was there is lost when the memory of what I had for lunch gets written into that cell.)

I don't want to derail into neuroscience in the cosmology forum, but while I think that you're roughly correct that brains have a limited storage capacity and that new memories somehow are erasing existing existing information, I think this is a side issue. This is because we are considering the case when the brain is at its limits of memory engram storage, meaning that it has had to go through many memory storage events in which the entropy of the engrams decreased until it was not possible to fit any more in. This is not the case while the brain is still developing and, hypothetically, if we had bigger skulls and no energy constraints, we could go on forming new memories forever. It it seems that in general the entropy of the engram should decrease when a memory is stored, and in the limit of full capacity it would tend to stay constant.

Again, to avoid derailing, can you offer me some intuition as to why someone might think that the second law of thermodynamics explains why we can remember the past and not the future, as Sean Carroll says?

madness said:
while I think that you're roughly correct that brains have a limited storage capacity and that new memories somehow are erasing existing existing information

That wasn't my point. Did you read the paragraph in parentheses at the end of my last post? Even if the memory is being stored in a storage unit that has not previously been used to store any memory (as in the cases you mention), the process of storing the memory still destroys information about the previous state of the storage unit. The fact that that previous state had no "meaning" as far as storing a memory is irrelevant; the storage unit still had a previous state, and information about what state that was is destroyed in the process of storing the memory.

madness said:
can you offer me some intuition as to why someone might think that the second law of thermodynamics explains why we can remember the past and not the future

Because the process of storing memories has to increase entropy, for the reasons I've given. That means our memories have an "arrow of time" built into them. We use the term "past" to denote the "tail" of the arrow, so to speak, and the term "future" to denote the "head" of the arrow, so we say we remember the past and not the future.

Last edited:
"Even if the memory is being stored in a storage unit that has not previously been used to store any memory (as in the cases you mention), the process of storing the memory still destroys information about the previous state of the storage unit. The fact that that previous state had no "meaning" as far as storing a memory is irrelevant; the storage unit still had a previous state, and information about what state that was is destroyed in the process of storing the memory."

I think it's pretty clear that there is more order in the pattern of synaptic connections which encode a memory than the random pattern before the memory. Encoding a memory can be roughly thought of as embedding an energy landscape with an attractor in it into the pattern of connections in a Hopfield network http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hopfield_network#Energy. There's less entropy in the network after an attractor has been embedded than before, when the connection weights were all random.

"Because the process of storing memories has to increase entropy, for the reasons I've given. That means our memories have an "arrow of time" built into them. We use the term "past" to denote the "tail" of the arrow, so to speak, and the term "future" to denote the "head" of the arrow, so we say we remember the past and not the future."

Again, the network with a memory is a lower entropy configuration than the network without the memory, so that the opposite of what you're saying should be true.

madness said:
There's less entropy in the network after an attractor has been embedded than before, when the connection weights were all random.

The page you linked to doesn't say that. It says there is less energy in the network after an attractor has been embedded than before. Less energy does not mean less entropy. If it did, a stone rolling downhill and stopping at the bottom due to friction would violate the second law.

You still have the whole entropy thing bassakwards, madness. I tried to explain it in terms of energy, but, that is obviously beyond your grasp.

Q: Is Carroll is justified in claiming that "the reason we can remember the past and not the future is because entropy is increasing, i.e. because there is an arrow of time"?

A: I haven't checked if that is what Carroll says, but the first part is correct. The second part is unconstrained, because there can be several arrows of time. But there is a global cosmological arrow of time set up by universe expansion, that allows entropy increase. Note that we can't take it further than observing that increase is allowed, the entropy of the universe isn't well defined.

Biological processes aligns with that:

"The change in entropy as a function of time of the bounded system is thus due to two contributions: entropy carried by the flow of material and/or energy across the system's boundary (an incremental amount of which is conventionally labeled deS), and the changes in entropy of the material/energy within the bounded system due to the irreversible processes taking place within it (labeled diS). That is, as is drawn in Fig. 1, the total incremental change in the entropy of the system is:

dS=deS+diS

where deS and dS can be of either sign but by the 2nd law we must have diS ≥ 0 (explanation: deS has no effect on the entropy of the universe since it is just due to moving energy/material from one place to another; therefore it is only the irreversible processes taking place within the system that effect the entropy of the universe; that is: dSuniverse = diS. But by the 2nd law, dSuniverse must be non-negative) [1] and [6]."

[ http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0005272812010420 ; "Turnstiles and bifurcators: The disequilibrium converting engines that put metabolism on the road", Elbert Branscomb & Michael J. Russell, Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Bioenergetics, 2013]

More specifically we have both exergonic (increasing entropy) and endergonic (decreasing entropy) processes, the condition is that the sum is endergonic:

"Although multiplying the quantities ΔeS and ΔiS by temperature—thus clothing them in the units of energy—recovers the classical Gibb's free energy equation and mollifies both history and convention, it arguably obscures the physics. In particular, the above discussion makes it clear that in the Gibbs relationship there are not three different types of physical quantities: free energy, enthalpy, and entropy; but just one: entropy, and the relationship is, in physical content, ‘really’ just the simple entropy budget equation of NET given above. Note however that the NET [Non-Equilibrium Thermodynamics] entropy budget relationship is more general in two fundamental respects; in applying to open systems (where both energy and matter can flow between the system and its environment), and in applying to ongoing processes taking place at finite velocities, not just to difference between the (equilibrium) end states of those processes (or to processes that are obliged to proceed “quasi statically”)."

I put in bold the description of free energy as it applies to NET, as I see there is some confusion in the thread.

Metabolism is of course both catabolic (free energy converting) and anabolic (building biochemicals), which allows the processes we associate with memory: nerve impulses, synaptic and receptor action including hormones, growth and paring of synapses and nerve cells.

I have no idea what an "engram " is supposed to be, it doesn't sound like a biological description. But I note that memory as a brain function likely is very dependent on plasticity including paring down the system in size. Any idea of a static "recording" of memory is wrong, biological systems are dynamical. If clusters of nerve cells works anything like when they cluster with their sister cells muscle cells (common cell lineage descendant) in the nerve cord and skeletal muscles systems, they use pattern generation to identify and play out actions. (And I believe that is what neuroscientists research.)

The young brain grows to a maximum size and the number of synapses goes down a factor 10 during adult life. I mention this for those that may erroneously believe that memory must mean that the system grows more complex (no, see above) or that complexity is a simple function of entropy (no, increasing entropy in sufficiently constrained systems confer order).

Last edited:
"The page you linked to doesn't say that. It says there is less energy in the network after an attractor has been embedded than before. Less energy does not mean less entropy. If it did, a stone rolling downhill and stopping at the bottom due to friction would violate the second law."

I wasn't referring to the energy. The Hopfield network before the memory is embedded has random connections, and after the memory is embedded it has a specific pattern of connections which generate attractor dynamics within the network. This is what constitutes a decrease in entropy.

If you still don't believe me, read this paper titled "Self-organization and entropy decreasing in neural networks" http://ptp.oxfordjournals.org/content/92/5/927.full.pdf and this paper, titled "Pattern recognition minimizes entropy production in a neural network of electrical oscillators" http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0375960113007305.

"You still have the whole entropy thing bassakwards, madness. I tried to explain it in terms of energy, but, that is obviously beyond your grasp."

Lol. Glad to see you're taking the moral high ground here Chronos ;).

"I have no idea what an "engram " is supposed to be, it doesn't sound like a biological description."

Then why not do a google search? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engram_(neuropsychology) http://www.sciencemag.org/content/341/6144/387.

"Any idea of a static "recording" of memory is wrong, biological systems are dynamical."

Come on, this is simply not true. It was proven long ago by Eric Kandel that memories are stored in the structural connections between cells rather than the ongoing reverberatory dynamics.

"The young brain grows to a maximum size and the number of synapses goes down a factor 10 during adult life."

This is actually a perfect example of entropy decreasing and complexity increasing. In the young brain, all cells are basically connected to all other cells. With learning, cells which do not participate in synchronous patterns of activity have their connections removed until a highly specific set of connections remains.

Last edited:
madness said:
I wasn't referring to the energy.

But the page you linked to was; it didn't say anything about entropy decrease.

madness said:
this paper titled "Self-organization and entropy decreasing in neural networks"

It looks like entropy here is being defined in the information theoretic sense, i.e., the entropy of a state with probability ##P## is ##- P \ln P##, and you just sum over all the possible states to get the total entropy. There is a lot of contention about whether, and under what conditions, this definition of entropy correlates with the usual thermodynamic definition. To the extent the two definitions don't correlate, we may be talking past each other, since you appear to be talking about information theoretic entropy and I am talking about thermodynamic entropy.

One of the key reasons why the two senses of entropy may not correlate is that, if you consider a particular information system in isolation, its information theoretic entropy can indeed decrease, because, for example, if you take a memory cell whose state you don't know, and put it in a state you do know (for example by storing a zero bit there), the information theoretic entropy of the memory cell after the operation is zero, where before the operation it was some positive number (for a single bit it would be ##\ln 2##, because you have two states each with probability 1/2). However, thermodynamically speaking, writing a value into a memory cell increases entropy, because you destroy the information about the cell's previous state--for example, for a single bit, there are two possible "before" states, but only one possible "after" state (because you forced the bit to a known state), so the time evolution is irreversible and thermodynamic entropy increases.

madness said:
this paper, titled "Pattern recognition minimizes entropy production in a neural network of electrical oscillators"

The paper is behind a paywall so I can only read the abstract; it talks about minimizing "entropy production", which doesn't sound to me like decreasing entropy, just minimizing the increase in entropy. But I can't tell for sure since I can't read the actual paper.

Likes Torbjorn_L
"It looks like entropy here is being defined in the information theoretic sense, i.e., the entropy of a state with probability P is −PlnP, and you just sum over all the possible states to get the total entropy. There is a lot of contention about whether, and under what conditions, this definition of entropy correlates with the usual thermodynamic definition. To the extent the two definitions don't correlate, we may be talking past each other, since you appear to be talking about information theoretic entropy and I am talking about thermodynamic entropy."

Given that a Hopfield network is equivalent to an Ising model, and that the energy and entropy is exactly the same in these two models, the definition of entropy in that paper is obviously the same as the usual Gibbs entropy for an Ising model. Moreover, Shannon entropy and GIbbs entropy are completely equivalent when working with the probability distribution of states in a system, as we are here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrop...d_information_theory#Theoretical_relationship).

"One of the key reasons why the two senses of entropy may not correlate is that, if you consider a particular information system in isolation, its information theoretic entropy can indeed decrease, because, for example, if you take a memory cell whose state you don't know, and put it in a state you do know (for example by storing a zero bit there), the information theoretic entropy of the memory cell after the operation is zero, where before the operation it was some positive number (for a single bit it would be ln2, because you have two states each with probability 1/2). However, thermodynamically speaking, writing a value into a memory cell increases entropy, because you destroy the information about the cell's previous state--for example, for a single bit, there are two possible "before" states, but only one possible "after" state (because you forced the bit to a known state), so the time evolution is irreversible and thermodynamic entropy increases."

The information theoretic and thermodynamic versions of entropy are literally identical in this case, other than the Bolzmann constant and the base of the logarithm. There is absolutely no difference. I think you are getting confused because you are not considering that the entropy in the paper is determined by the probability that the network is in a particular activation pattern at a given time, and has nothing to do with overwriting or losing information. Networks without stored memories will randomly visit all possible patterns, having a more or less uniform probability distribution over the activation patterns and therefore high entropy, whereas networks with stored memories will converge to attractor states, so that there is a high probability of only a few patterns and therefore a low entropy.

Last edited:
madness said:
Shannon entropy and GIbbs entropy are completely equivalent when working with the probability distribution of states in a system

Hm. Maybe I've misstated the way in which we are talking past each other. Let me try again with a simple one-bit model.

Suppose we have a one-bit memory storage cell and we don't know what state it's in. The entropy is ##\ln 2##. Now we store a 0 bit in the cell. The entropy of the cell is now 0.

But we left out something in the above: how did the 0 bit get stored? In the absence of any external interaction, the cell's state will never change (we're idealizing it as perfectly stationary, whereas of course real memory cells are not, but if it's going to work as a memory cell we want it to keep the same value once we store one), and its entropy will never change either. So we had to interact with the cell somehow in order to force it into the 0 bit state.

That means that, if we have the ability to change the cell's state, we can't consider it as an isolated system; we have to take the interaction that changes the state into account in any correct analysis of how entropy changes with the change in state. For example, suppose we have a simple "bit swap" interaction: we take a cell that stores a known 0 bit and move it close to the memory cell we want to store a 0 bit to. The interaction between them swaps the two bits: the known 0 bit goes to the memory cell, and the unknown bit in the memory cell goes to our cell. In this interaction, the total entropy change is zero: we've just swapped ##\ln 2## entropy from one cell to the other. Note that this particular interaction is reversible (we can just swap the bits back again), which is why it has zero entropy change.

But this really just pushes the problem back a step: how did we get a known 0 bit into the other cell in the first place? Sooner or later, as you trace the chain of bits back, you are going to come to a point where an irreversible interaction happened: a known 0 bit got into some memory cell at the expense of more than ##\ln 2## entropy increase in whatever system interacted with that cell to store the 0 bit in it--in other words, the total interaction at that point increased entropy instead of keeping it constant.

Or we can look at it another way. The "bit swap" interaction has a drawback, if we're trying to view it as "storing a memory": it doesn't correlate the 0 bit we stored with anything that it wasn't correlated with already. It just swaps the bit from one memory cell to another. But if that 0 bit is supposed to be a "memory" of something, then at some point some bit has to get set to 0 as part of an interaction that correlates it with something else that it wasn't correlated with before.

For example, suppose we want to store a 0 bit because some pixel in a video frame is 0 (this is a very crude video frame with only one bit per pixel). The interaction can't change the pixel itself, because it's being used for other things (like being seen). So we have to take a memory cell with an unknown bit value (and therefore a bit value that is uncorrelated with the pixel) and turn it into a memory cell with a 0 bit stored (and therefore perfect correlation with the pixel). What sort of interaction could do that? Well, we could have a store of known bits, some 0, some 1, and then we could measure the pixel bit and pick which known bit to swap into the memory cell based on whether the pixel bit was 0 or 1. The bit swap part is fine--no entropy increase there, as we saw above. But what about the measuring and picking part? It doesn't seem to me that there's any way to do that without at some point having an entropy increase.

Your networks are just more complicated versions of the same thing. You say the network with memories stored has a non-random pattern of connections that creates attractors in its state space: but how did the connections get changed to that nonrandom pattern? By some interaction with something external to the network. You have to count that interaction when you're figuring the entropy change.

In short, when you include the interactions of any memory storage device, the interactions that are necessary in order for it to actually store memories, you find that there always has to be some entropy increase involved in storing the memories. You can only ignore this by artificially looking only at the storage device itself as an isolated system, even though it's impossible for an isolated storage device to change state, and therefore it's impossible for an isolated storage device to store memories.

"In short, when you include the interactions of any memory storage device, the interactions that are necessary in order for it to actually store memories, you find that there always has to be some entropy increase involved in storing the memories. You can only ignore this by artificially looking only at the storage device itself as an isolated system, even though it's impossible for an isolated storage device to change state, and therefore it's impossible for an isolated storage device to store memories."

Great, so now we've agreed on what I said to be true in my second post of the thread.

Who cares if it's impossible for an isolated device to store memories? As I said at the beginning of the thread, the entropy decrease within the memory device is offset by an increase elsewhere, but the crucial fact is that it is only possible to store memories by decreasing entropy, against the global arrow of time. It is therefore nonsense say that it is this arrow of time that allows us to remember the past and not the future - it's the fact that our brains are able to decrease the entropy of certain circuits which allows us to remember the past.

madness said:
the entropy decrease within the memory device is offset by an increase elsewhere

No, not "elsewhere". Both state changes--memory device and "elsewhere"--are intrinsically part of the same interaction. There's no way to separate them.

madness said:
it is only possible to store memories by decreasing entropy, against the global arrow of time

No. It's only possible to store memories through an interaction that increases entropy. If the entire universe were already in a state of maximum entropy, there would be no way to store memories. That's why the global arrow of time has to be there, and why the "past" direction of time--the direction in which memories "point"--has to be the "tail" direction of the global arrow of time.

Likes Torbjorn_L
PeterDonis said:
It's only possible to store memories through an interaction that increases entropy.

Let me try to restate this in a way that might be a little less contentious.

In order to store memories, there has to be a store of negentropy in the universe. So the OP is correct when it states:

madness said:
life and its processes, including memory, require negentropy

The process of storing memories can be viewed as transferring negentropy from somewhere else into the memory storage cell. However, this transfer is never 100% efficient; the interaction that transfers the negentropy always expends some in the process, so some of the negentropy that was taken from the universal store does not make it into the memory cell; it gets wasted.

The above has two implications: (1) memories can't be stored if there is no negentropy left in the universe; (2) there is less negentropy in the universe after a given memory is stored than before. These facts are what link the thermodynamic arrow of time with the direction of memories.

"No, not "elsewhere". Both state changes--memory device and "elsewhere"--are intrinsically part of the same interaction. There's no way to separate them."

It's standard to separate a system and it's environment, and we are free to choose this separation. In this case, the system is the neural circuit storing the memory and the environment is the rest of the universe. When a memory is stored, the system's entropy is lowered and the entropy of the environment is increased. You seem to be getting confused here - there are two systems and there is an interaction between these systems, the systems are easily separable whether or not they interact.

"It's only possible to store memories through an interaction that increases entropy."

Right, this is basically just restating the second law of thermodynamics.

"If the entire universe were already in a state of maximum entropy, there would be no way to store memories."

This is true, because entropy can't spontaneously decrease due to the second law of thermodynamics. The only way a memory can be stored is if the memory system can decrease it's entropy, which must be offset by an increase in entropy in it's environment. This is why I say that memories are formed despite the arrow of time rather than because of it - the direction of entropy change during memory storage within the circuit is the opposite to the global entropy change of the universe, and this is a necessary condition for memory storage.

"The above has two implications: (1) memories can't be stored if there is no negentropy left in the universe; (2) there is less negentropy in the universe after a given memory is stored than before."

I don't think these facts have been contentious throughout the discussion. I think the third fact that - (3) memories can't be stored without a decrease in entropy within the memory circuit - is crucial though.

"These facts are what link the thermodynamic arrow of time with the direction of memories."

This is really the crucial point which I wanted to address in my OP. The relationship between memory and the arrow of time is far more complex than Sean Carroll realizes in my opinion. Memory requires a flow of entropy in the circuits encoding the information which goes against the arrow of time in the universe as a whole.

madness said:
Memory requires a flow of entropy in the circuits encoding the information which goes against the arrow of time in the universe as a whole.

But this can only take place if there is an arrow of time in the universe as a whole, and a given memory can only be correlated with something that happened in the "past" direction of that arrow of time, not the "future" direction. That's what Carroll is saying, if I understand his position correctly.

What Carroll said isn't completely true. On rare occasions I can remember future.

"But this can only take place if there is an arrow of time in the universe as a whole, and a given memory can only be correlated with something that happened in the "past" direction of that arrow of time, not the "future" direction. That's what Carroll is saying, if I understand his position correctly."

Sure, it is true that nothing at all can happen without an arrow of time, and memory is no different. However, this argument is verging on tautological, and has an air of sophistry about it. It's like saying the reason I have blue eyes is because there is an arrow of time in the universe. The specifics of what allows us to remember the past and the future is that entropy decreases in the memory storage circuit.

madness said:
The specifics of what allows us to remember the past and the future is that entropy decreases in the memory storage circuit.

First of all, I assume you meant "remember the past and not the future", correct?

It seems like either we are talking past each other or you are not reading what I'm writing. You keep focusing on one particular aspect of "the specifics" while ignoring the critical other aspect which justifies what Carroll was saying, which is more than just this:

madness said:
it is true that nothing at all can happen without an arrow of time

It's not just that memory, like everything else, can't happen without an arrow of time: it's that we can only remember the past, not the future. That means each memory can only be correlated with something that happened when overall entropy was lower. So "the specifics" are really that the interaction that stores the memory has to increase the overall entropy of the combined system of memory cell + thing being remembered. The fact that, if you only look at the memory cell, the entropy decreases, is true, but beside the point, because the interaction can't happen with just the memory cell; there has to be something the memory cell is being correlated with in order for what happens to count as "storing a memory" in the first place. So a proper accounting has to include the entropy change in the thing being remembered--the thing the memory cell gets correlated with.

Likes Torbjorn_L
madness said:
"I have no idea what an "engram " is supposed to be, it doesn't sound like a biological description."

Then why not do a google search? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engram_(neuropsychology) http://www.sciencemag.org/content/341/6144/387.

Ah, thanks! It looked like a fringe idea, and life is too short to check up those. :confused: (I've read some neuroscience, because astrobiology is my main interest these days.)

As it happens, it was a rare description:

"The term engram was coined by the little-known but influential memory researcher Richard Semon."

[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engram_(neuropsychology) ]

As I thought it is a static description though: "Semon’s mnemic principle was based upon how stimuli produce a "permanent record,... written or engraved on the irritable substance," i.e. upon cellular material energistically predisposed to such inscription (Semon 1921, p. 24).[1]"

[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Semon ]

madness said:
"Any idea of a static "recording" of memory is wrong, biological systems are dynamical."

Come on, this is simply not true. It was proven long ago by Eric Kandel that memories are stored in the structural connections between cells rather than the ongoing reverberatory dynamics.

I'm not sure what "ongoing reverberatory dynamics" is supposed to mean. Noting that evolution likely used dynamical systems is consistent with that memories "are stored in the structural connections between cells" in the same way that a dynamical system description (say, a harmonic oscillator model) can be stored and executed from a CPU and ROM memory in a computer.

That dynamical pattern generation is part of memory is what the recent identification (IIRC) of that re cortex and leg movements tell us. The last action of the mind, the brain+body system, before the muscle cells engage is such patterns. Whether _all_ memory is such is an open question. But why would evolution result in the use of several methods, especially since muscle action is so basic? [Nerve cells and muscle cells have evolved _twice_ independently, both in Ctenophora and in Cnidaria/Bilateria.]

madness said:
"The young brain grows to a maximum size and the number of synapses goes down a factor 10 during adult life."

This is actually a perfect example of entropy decreasing and complexity increasing. In the young brain, all cells are basically connected to all other cells. With learning, cells which do not participate in synchronous patterns of activity have their connections removed until a highly specific set of connections remains.

This is confused.

- The entropy is increasing within the system, as per NET. (Reference in an earlier comment.) This is a thermodynamic requirement. If you disagree, you are either rejecting physics, rejecting the system boundaries (say, open vs closed) or confusing entropy with something else.

- The biological complexity of the system is both decreasing (number of synapses) and increasing (more complex behavior). The physical complexity is both decreasing (Kolmogorov complexity*) and increasing (more memories).

Again, complexity is not a simple function of entropy.**

To get back to the initial Q, the A is the same: "the reason we can remember the past and not the future is because [within the system] entropy is increasing".

* And yes, I know that KC is information 'entropy'. But it can also be used to measure what it says. Somewhat sophistic, akin to your discussion of a closed system, which is totally meaningless re open biological systems...

**I can add, if it helps, that there are more complexity measures than you can remember. Some maximize in the far future (disorder), some right now (structural complexity density of the universe), ... It is a complex issue.o0)

Last edited:
The OP seems to have an agenda, more-so than a desire for discussion. That being said, it should be noted that human memory is not like a hard drive on a computer, nor is it as well ordered as this above discussion seems to imply. Memories are not stable, and experimental psychology has done a good job showing how people misrepresent events (even events experienced just moments before). People's reports of, and experience of, their memories changes over time, for a number of reasons including spontaneity, confirmation bias, defense mechanisms, and cognitive blocks. Actually, Daniel Dennett does a good job explaining just how fickle our memory is with a few thought experiments in his book Consciousness Explained; though, I by no means regard that text as a final or ultimate authority on the matter.

If memory really was such a powerful tool for reducing entropy, and a tool that remained low in entropy, "memorization" would not be a technique used by humans to learn new things, because it would only take one glance to maintain a correct memory. Also, "referencing" ideas that are "fuzzy" to a person would never have to happen, because the low-entropic memory would be too well-ordered for conditions of forgetfulness to emerge.

Finally, concerning memory as negentropy that is separable from the environment it exists within, as the OP has stated:

madness said:
It's standard to separate a system and it's environment, and we are free to choose this separation.

This sentiment is correct in that, yes, we are free to choose this. But we choose this only as an aid to understanding, and it is useful mainly as a simplifying exercise for students learning how to do physics out of a textbook, where one must present situations in increasing order of difficulty so that students can master a new way of thinking. And for professional theorists, the separation of system and environment is only a starting ground for tackling a novel problem. Full descriptions require pairing with an environment, and pairing a system with its environment complicates any analysis greatly. Accepting an analysis done from the standpoint of a system isolated from its environment as the full, and final, conclusion to a problem is to mistake idealizations for true physical explanation. To say it another way, analysis by isolation is only the starting point, not the final destination.

Fluffaluffins said:
it should be noted that human memory is not like a hard drive on a computer, nor is it as well ordered as this above discussion seems to imply

This is quite true, and I should clarify that, in my posts at least, I was not really talking about actual human memory, but about an idealized "memory" that is perfectly stable, etc. Bringing in all the imperfections of actual human memory would only overcomplicate a discussion that's already complicated enough. ;)

Your other points are good ones as well.

Thanks for all of the comments, I don't have time to go over them all right now but I think I'm starting to better understand your perspective regarding the interaction between environment and system.

I'll put forward another argument. The law of increasing entropy is actually a law of enormous statistical likelihood rather than fact. Hence, we can imagine a situation in which the interaction involves a net decrease in entropy in the whole system, or a net decrease in the memory system but not environment or a net increase in one or other etc etc. Only in the case where entropy decreases in the memory system, regardless of entropy increase or decrease elsewhere/overall, will a memory be stored. Therefore, memory is not contingent on the law of increasing entropy, it merely happens in a world where this law has to hold.

madness said:
The law of increasing entropy is actually a law of enormous statistical likelihood rather than fact.

This is true, but it doesn't help your argument. Cases where the law is violated are random fluctuations, and storage of a memory cannot be a random fluctuation. See below.

madness said:
Only in the case where entropy decreases in the memory system, regardless of entropy increase or decrease elsewhere/overall, will a memory be stored.

No, this isn't correct. Only in the case where the memory system becomes correlated with what it is a memory of, will a memory be stored. But this can only happen if the combined entropy of memory system + thing remembered increases. If the combined entropy decreases, it means either the memory store or the thing remembered had a random fluctuation, and any such fluctuation destroys the correlation that makes the interaction a valid storage of a memory.

Likes Torbjorn_L
"Cases where the law is violated are random fluctuations, and storage of a memory cannot be a random fluctuation."

This is mistaken. All processes in statistical physics are considered "random fluctuations", it just happens to be that the vast majority of these fluctations increase entropy rather than decreasing it.

"Only in the case where the memory system becomes correlated with what it is a memory of, will a memory be stored. But this can only happen if the combined entropy of memory system + thing remembered increases. If the combined entropy decreases, it means either the memory store or the thing remembered had a random fluctuation, and any such fluctuation destroys the correlation that makes the interaction a valid storage of a memory."

As per the above point, there is no fundamental difference between the cases where entropy increases or decreases, it is just a matter of probabilities - they are both "random fluctuations". Whether such random fluctuation in the environment increase or decrease the entropy has no bearing on whether a memory can be stored. In contrast, it is fundamentally necessary for the entropy within the circuit encoding the memory to decrease in entropy in order to store the pattern and be able to later retrieve it.

madness said:
All processes in statistical physics are considered "random fluctuations"

If this were actually true, how would memories ever get stored? The whole point is that the memory storage is stable--you can reliably store one or more particular bits of information in it. That means the process that does the storing cannot possibly be a statistical fluctuation.

madness said:
All processes in statistical physics are considered "random fluctuations"

Stochastic processes are processes characterized by random fluctuations, not processes that are entirely random. If statistical physics was pure randomness, there would be no physics worth speaking of. Probabilities are tendencies toward some outcome, and reduce randomness, approaching certainty as a limit as the probability become stronger and stronger.

Edit: A thought question: If a tendency towards increasing disorder/randomness is very strong, as in the case of entropy, then the strength of the probability of increasing disorder is approaching some degree away from certainty. If the increase in the uncertainty of a system's state is approaching certainty, then we must be observing an increasingly deterministic process; that is, if we are certain that disorder must increase, than the increase in randomness is not random. If the increase in randomness is not random, then must there be a physical reason for the change? If there is a physical reason for the change, is the process truly a "random fluctuation," or is it a process we have yet to understand with fullest rigor?

Last edited:
"If this were actually true, how would memories ever get stored? The whole point is that the memory storage is stable--you can reliably store one or more particular bits of information in it. That means the process that does the storing cannot possibly be a statistical fluctuation."

You're missing the point. In classical physics, all events are deterministic and completely time reversible. Statistical physics takes a probabilistic/stochastic approach, and finds that out of these time reversible events the majority will increase entropy. More specifically, it looks at an ensemble of time evolutions of a stochastic system. Within this ensemble, it does not make sense to say that those cases where entropy decreases are "random fluctuations" while cases where entropy increases are not - the whole point is that entropy only increases in general because there are more cases within the ensemble which involve an increase in entropy than cases which do not. Neither the entropy increasing or decreasing realisations in the ensemble are priveliged.

Note: If we can take the ensemble average of a time evolving system we find that entropy increases, even though in some individual realisations the entropy actually decreases. For the memory circuit, only those individual realisations which decrease its entropy will result in a successfull pattern storage. For the environment however, whether the particual realisation increases or decreases its entropy does not impact on the success of memory storage.

Edit: The word "fluctuation" generally refers to changes in macroscopic variables of a system, such as temperature, pressure, and entropy. In this sense, you might say that those cases where entropy decreases are fluctations because they go against the ensemble average. However, these kinds of random fluctuations have no bearing on whether memory is stored or not - it is the particular time evolution of the microscopic dynamics which is relevant to memory storage, and there is no reason why an individual time evolution which decreases entropy overall would be detrimental to memory storage (remember that at the microscopic scale, the only thing that marks out time evolutions which decrease entropy is that there are less of them in the ensemble).

Last edited:
madness said:
it does not make sense to say that those cases where entropy decreases are "random fluctuations" while cases where entropy increases are not

Then it's a good thing I didn't say that. I said the cases where a memory is reliably stored can't be random fluctuations. Random fluctuations can't create stable correlations, which is what is required for memory storage.

madness said:
For the environment however, whether the particual realisation increases or decreases its entropy does not impact on the success of memory storage.

Yes, it does. I've already explained why, repeatedly.