Producing Methane from Composting: Benefits & Process

In summary: Based on the information provided, it is definitely possible to produce methane in a closed system without introducing energy from the outside. Additionally, it is estimated that about 5% of the weight of organic material is methane. So, if you compost more organic material, the methane production will increase.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
I'm interested in composting.
I want to understand the benefit of composting.
Besides
  • Reducing organic waste
  • Producing fertilizer
This composting process also produce energy (methane) if properly managed.
I wonder how, without oxygen addition/introduction, in a sealed composter bin, can methane be synthesized?
Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermentation) says that
CH3COO− + H+ → CH4 + CO2
Okay...
So perhaps without introducing energy from outside of the system. Methane can be synthesized.
But now I'm wondering about a new thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_of_combustion
It is said here that
CH4 + 2O2 -> CO2 + 2H2O + energy.

What I can surmise from that is:
A: "Creating CO2" release energy, is this right?
B: "Creating H2O" release energy, is this right?
C: "Creating CH4" needs energy, is this right?

And then, there is
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_enthalpy_of_formation
CO2 -> -393
H2O -> -242
D: Why these numbers are minus? Is it because
"Creating CO2 (or H2O) DOES NOT need energy, but releasing instead"
Okay, if this is so, than I can (at least) take it

E: So, if producing CO2 releases energy, then PRODUCING CH4 should consume energy, is this right?
CH4 + 2O2 -> CO2 + 2H2O + energy.
But also from the same link above: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_enthalpy_of_formation
F: Methane -> -74.9. What does this mean?
Does this mean: Creating methane also RELEASES energy?

So the statements E, F and [A+B+C] seem contradictory to me.
Can anyone help?
I'd like to understand this first, before I read fermentation.
So that I can understand the benefit of composting.

Thank you very much.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The "zeroes" are the elements in their standard states.

Likes Stephanus
Whether a chemical reaction requires or releases energy depends on the exact reaction involved. There are some reactions that produce methane that require energy and there are some reactions that produce methane that release energy.

The standard enthalpy of formation is defined as the energy required (or released) when synthesizing the compound from its constituent elements in their standard state. For methane, this means synthesizing methane from graphite and hydrogen gas:

C(s) + 2H2 (g) --> CH4 (g) ΔH = –74.9 kJ/mol
(in this case, producing methane releases energy)

To determine the amount of heat generated or consumed in any other type of reaction, you would look up the standard enthalpies of formation for all reactants and products, then apply Hess's[/PLAIN] law.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Stephanus
Also, what can be confusing here is the fact that the convention is such that if the reaction is exothermic (produces energy) enthalpy change is listed as negative, while enthalpy change for an endothermic reaction (one that consumes energy) is positive.

Think as if you were looking from the point of view of reactants - when the reaction is exothermic they are releasing energy so their energy change is negative, when the reaction is endothermic they consume the energy, so their energy change is positive.

Likes Stephanus
Thanks Bystander,
Thanks Ygggdrasil (shouldn't it be 2 gs? I read yggdrasil in Storm comic),
Thanks Borek.
I think I understand what you gentlemen (I assume) tell me.
So for one last question perhaps.
Is it possible to produce methane inside a closed composter bin with typical organic kitchen waste only with an exhaust hole, without adding/introducing oxygen and sunlight from outside?
I just want to know what is and how much is the beneift of garbage processing.

Thanks again.

Stephanus said:
Is it possible to produce methane inside a closed composter bin with typical organic kitchen waste only with an exhaust hole, without adding/introducing oxygen and sunlight from outside?

Definitely.

Actually methane production in landfills can be a serious problem - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landfill_gas

Thanks Borek for the answers.
Now, this is my ultimate question actually.
After I understand that producing methane is possible in a closed system without introducing energy from the outside.
Given that carbon is roughly 10% in plant tissue.
Is it possible to know that organic material produces methane (if fermented) about 5% of its weight?

Thank you

1. How is methane produced from composting?

Methane is produced during an anaerobic (oxygen-free) decomposition process. When organic waste is broken down by microorganisms in a composting system without oxygen present, methane is released as a byproduct.

2. What are the benefits of producing methane from composting?

Producing methane from composting has several benefits. It helps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and can be used as a renewable energy source. It also reduces the amount of organic waste that ends up in landfills, which can contribute to air and water pollution.

3. How long does it take to produce methane from composting?

The time it takes to produce methane from composting can vary depending on factors such as temperature, moisture levels, and the type of organic waste being composted. In general, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months for methane to be produced in significant amounts.

4. What is the process of producing methane from composting?

The process of producing methane from composting involves creating an anaerobic environment for organic waste to decompose. This can be done in a variety of ways, such as using an enclosed digester or a landfill. The methane produced is then captured and can be used as a source of energy.

5. What are some potential challenges or drawbacks of producing methane from composting?

While producing methane from composting has many benefits, there are also some challenges and drawbacks to consider. These can include the initial cost of setting up a composting system, the need for proper management and maintenance, and potential odor and safety concerns. Additionally, if not done correctly, methane emissions can contribute to air pollution and climate change.