Method of images to find potential near a grounded plane

In summary, the student attempted to find the potential at the center of a sphere, but got confused about their position vectors. They simplified the expression to find V(r) which was Q/8πε0[3/R - 1/d].
wyosteve

Homework Statement

Have my E&M final tomorrow. Trying to work old test questions. Please check my answer for this question.
Uniformly charged sphere of charge Q and radius R, center is a distance d above a grounded plane.

Homework Equations

V(r) in the interior of a sphere is given in the problem to be Q/8πε0[3/R-r2/R3]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using method of images, let there be a second sphere of charge -Q a distance d below the plane. Let d be along the z-axis
for sphere above: r2=x2+y2+(z-d)2
sphere below: r2=x2+y2+(z+d)2

my final answer
Q/8ε0(4zd/R3)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
wyosteve said:
V(r) in the interior of a sphere is given in the problem to be Q/8πε0[3/R-r2/R3]
Is this relevant? The title says 'potential near grounded plane', which suggests it's at points external to the sphere.
for sphere above: r2=x2+y2+(z-d)2
sphere below: r2=x2+y2+(z+d)2
Seems right.
my final answer
Q/8ε0(4zd/R3)
How do you get that? Please post your working.

Yeah sorry my post title was too brief. The question asks for the potential at the center of the sphere.
The V(r) that I gave was for this sphere in empty space. So the problem was to find how this changed with the inclusion of the grounded plane.

V1=Q/8πε0(3/R - r12/R3) (first sphere)
V2=-Q/8πε0(3/R - r22/R3) (second sphere)

the total V will be the sum of potentials from each sphere so

V(r)total = Q/8πε0(3/R - r12/R3- 3/R + r22/R3)

where r1 and r2 are the r's I gave in the initial post
Then I just simplified this expression to my final answer.
Now that I think about it if I'm trying to find V at the center of the sphere then z = d and my answer will be Q/8πε0(4d2/R3)

This is all wrong. I can't add these to potentials together because they are the potentials in each sphere, and the point is only inside one of them. Should be the potential inside the first sphere plus the potential outside the second sphere.
Something like

V(r) = Q/8πε0[3/R-r12/R3]-Q/4πε0[1/r2]

wyosteve said:
Should be the potential inside the first sphere plus the potential outside the second sphere.
Something like

V(r) = Q/8πε0[3/R-r12/R3]-Q/4πε0[1/r2]
Yes, that looks right. But you said you wanted the potential in the centre, so you can substitute for r1 and r2, right?

Potential at the center of the first sphere was what I was trying to find. I am getting confused about my position vectors.
r1 is the distance from the center of the first sphere. Since we want the potential at that point r1=0.
r2 is the distance from the center of the second sphere. So r2 = 2d

then V(r) reduces to Q/8πε0[3/R - 1/d]

Yes, that looks good.

Thanks for your help!

Related to Method of images to find potential near a grounded plane

1. What is the method of images?

The method of images is a mathematical technique used in electrostatics to calculate the electric potential and electric field near a grounded conducting surface, such as a plane. It involves creating a set of "imaginary" point charges that mimic the behavior of the real charges in the system.

2. How does the method of images work?

The method of images works by using the principle of superposition, which states that the total potential at any point is equal to the sum of the potentials due to each individual charge. By strategically placing imaginary charges, the potential near a grounded plane can be accurately calculated.

3. What are the advantages of using the method of images?

One advantage of using the method of images is that it simplifies the mathematical calculations involved in finding the potential near a grounded plane. It also allows for the solution of more complex problems, such as the potential due to multiple charges near a grounded plane, which would be difficult to solve using other methods.

4. Are there any limitations to the method of images?

One limitation of the method of images is that it only works for simple geometries, such as a point charge or a line of charges near a grounded plane. It also assumes that the conducting surface is perfectly grounded, which may not be the case in real-world situations.

5. How is the method of images used in practical applications?

The method of images has various practical applications in the field of electrostatics, such as in the design of electronic circuits and the analysis of charged particle beams. It is also commonly used in the study of electrostatics and is a useful tool for solving problems in this area of physics.