1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Method of joints for bridge truss

1. May 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the forces for each member.

2. Relevant equations

Sum of forces in x=0
    Sum of forces in y=0
    Sumof moments about D=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    Work is on attached image of problem. I'm having trouble solving for support reactions. At D there is

a hinge. At A, C, and Fthere is a roller. I know that the hinge provides a horizontal and vertical reaction force where the rollers only provide a vertical reaction force. I know I can't sum the moments about a roller and I'm don't think I can sum the moments about the hinge (did this anyways as Im stuck). So how can I solve these support reactions?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can sum moments about any convenient point. Just because a roller doesn't support a moment does not prevent this.

A structure in static equilibrium must have forces and moments sum to zero, regardless of reference

4. May 7, 2016 #3
    That is the right thing to do right? I keep getting Fy and Cy to cancel out during my sum of the moments equation? So I have sum of moments about D to be 0=0?

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  5. May 7, 2016 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not clear what you are talking about here. From the diagram, it looks like the supports are located at D and F.

The structure is symmetrical about the line BE. What do you think the reactions should be?

6. May 7, 2016 #5
    There is a roller at A, C and F. There is a hinge at D.

7. May 7, 2016 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the purpose of the rollers at A and C? Your sketch is not clear on this.

8. May 7, 2016 #7
    We are suppose to design a truss that can handle a load of 12.5 kip at the center of this bridge. There is a roller at the top left just under bridge, there is a roller at top right just under bridge, there is a roller on support underneath bottom right of bridge, and there is a hinge on support underneath bottom left of bridge.

Attached Files:

9. May 7, 2016 #8
    When I calculate support reactions for the truss I made with the 12.5 kip load in center I keep getting zero. That should not happen, unless I am mistaken.

10. May 7, 2016 #9

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the rollers at A and C can support reactions at the cliffs, and the roller at F and the hinge at D also have support reactions, then your structure is no longer a simple truss, but a statically indeterminate structure with four points of support but only two equations of statics to work with.

11. May 7, 2016 #10
    So what you are saying is that there should not be rollers on top of the cliffs? That drawing is from my teacher as a guideline to get us started and such.

12. May 7, 2016 #11

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, I don't know all the details of this project.

I'm just saying that you can't analyze this structure as a simple truss when it isn't one. :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted