Understanding the Derivation of the Metric Tensor

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation dui=ai*dr=ai*aj*duj and how it relates to the vector notation. The speaker wonders if the directions are the same or if they are not considered important. The response explains that the limit of two vectors can be the zero vector without them pointing in the same direction.
kidsasd987
tc14.png
Hello, I have a question regarding the first equation above.
it says dui=ai*dr=ai*aj*duj but I wonder how. (sorry I omitted vector notation because I don't know how to put them on)

if dui=ai*dr=ai*aj*duj is true, then
dr=aj*duj
|dr|*rhat=|aj|*duj*ajhat
where lim |dr|,|duj|->0

which means rhat=ajhat. are both the directions actually the same or do we just don't care about directions because both will eventually be small increment of each component?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your error is that the limit of two vectors can be the zero vector (and thus equal to each other) without them pointing in the same direction.
[tex]\lim_{x\to 0} x\hat{\imath}= \vec{0},\quad \lim_{y\to 0} y\hat{\jmath} = \vec{0}[/tex]
this does not imply [itex]\hat{\imath} = \hat{\jmath}[/itex].

What is the purpose of deriving the metric tensor?

The metric tensor is a mathematical object that describes the geometric properties of a space. By deriving it, we can gain a deeper understanding of the space's curvature and distance measurements.

What are the essential components of the metric tensor?

The metric tensor is typically represented by a matrix of coefficients that describe the lengths and angles of vectors in a given space. These coefficients can be derived from the space's curvature and its basis vectors.

How is the metric tensor derived?

The metric tensor is typically derived using the Christoffel symbols, which are mathematical expressions that describe the curvature of a space. These symbols can be calculated using the space's curvature and its basis vectors.

What are some practical applications of the metric tensor?

The metric tensor is used extensively in the field of General Relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime. It also has applications in differential geometry, where it is used to define distance and angle measurements in curved spaces.

What are some common challenges in deriving the metric tensor?

Deriving the metric tensor can be a complex and time-consuming process, especially in spaces with high curvature. Additionally, choosing the appropriate basis vectors and coordinate systems can also be challenging and can affect the resulting tensor.