Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Michelangelo's Paint

1. Aug 30, 2005 #1

Can someone help me find information about Michelangelo's paint? I know this is a kind of a weird topic but thanks you VERY much. :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2005 #2

Gold Member

4. Aug 30, 2005 #3
    They actually went into detail about this in the book I just read Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling.

He special ordered specific colors from specific places, and was very picky about it.

The book is by Ross King, and was published in 2003. If you can get hold of a copy, just look the word pigment up in the index. It is mentioned on roughly 20 separate pages, and exactly where and how he got specific colors is explained in detail.

Since the ceiling was a fresco his pigments were merely mixed with water.

The method of fresco ia also discussed in detail in many places in the book.
  5. Aug 30, 2005 #4

Yes, this is precisely the kind of thing I am looking for, not just his paints, but the paints for the Sistine Chapel ceiling, how accessible on a worldwide scale they were, and what was in them.

But where can I find this... I can view up to 5000 words through Amazon.com's "Search Inside" features.
  6. Aug 30, 2005 #5
    The book, as I said, is called Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling, published in 2003, by Ross King.
    Publisher: Penguin Books. You want to access several pages of a chapter called True Colors, which go from page 123-128. Hope that helps.
  7. Aug 30, 2005 #6

Gold Member

You can search for page numbers, BTW.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?