Why can't I see fringes with eyepiece in my Michelson Interferometer?

In summary, one person is seeking help with constructing a Michelson Interferometer using sodium light. They have used a spectrometer telescope with specific lens and eyepiece, but are having trouble seeing the fringes with the eyepiece. Another person suggests that the issue may be that the image is formed at the focal plane and a screen should be placed behind the eyepiece. The person seeking help will try this solution and provide an update.
itsnaresh
Hello Forum
I have constructing a Michelson Interferometer using sodium light. For viewing the fringes, I have used spectrometer telescope with objective lens of 178mm focal length, 35mm dia and eyepiece 15X. I can see the localized fringes when I view through the objective glass but without eyepiece but I do not see any fringe when I put the eyepiece. I wonder what could be the reason. Is it that the telescope is not of good configuration.

I would be grateful for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
I suppose that the output beam is collimated, so the image is at infinite and you can see it. But with the eyepiece, the image is formed at the focal plane, so you just have to put a screen behind the eyepiece.

Likes 1 person
Hi

Thanks for your reply. I will try and let you know.

1. What is a Michelson Interferometer?

The Michelson Interferometer is an optical instrument used to measure small differences in the length of two mutually perpendicular paths. It was invented in 1881 by Albert A. Michelson and is commonly used in interferometry, a technique that utilizes the interference of light waves to make precise measurements.

2. How does a Michelson Interferometer work?

A Michelson Interferometer works by splitting a single beam of light into two beams, using a beam splitter. One beam travels along a reference path while the other beam reflects off a mirror and travels along a sample path. The two beams are then recombined at the beam splitter, and the resulting interference pattern is measured to determine any differences in the lengths of the two paths.

3. What are the applications of a Michelson Interferometer?

Michelson Interferometers have a wide range of applications in science and technology. They are commonly used in research laboratories for measuring small distances and displacements, as well as studying the properties of materials. They are also used in the fields of astronomy, metrology, and fiber optics.

4. What are the advantages of using a Michelson Interferometer?

One of the main advantages of a Michelson Interferometer is its high precision in measuring small distances and displacements. It is also a relatively simple and inexpensive instrument compared to other methods of measurement. Additionally, it can be used to measure a wide range of materials, making it a versatile tool in various industries.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Michelson Interferometer?

While a Michelson Interferometer is a highly accurate instrument, it does have some limitations. It requires a stable environment and can be affected by vibrations or air currents, which can introduce errors in the measurements. It is also limited in its ability to measure large distances or objects with rough surfaces.