Micro organism brought back to life after 30 years

In summary, scientists have successfully revived a microorganism that had been frozen in permafrost for over 30 years. The microbe, called Bdellovibrio bacteriovorus, is a predatory bacteria that feeds on other bacteria. It was discovered in a sample of soil from Alaska and was able to be revived and cultured in a lab setting. This discovery has implications for understanding the resilience and survival of microorganisms in extreme conditions, as well as potential uses for Bdellovibrio bacteriovorus in biotechnology and medicine.
Keiran OConnor
http://gizmodo.com/frozen-tardigrade-brought-back-to-life-after-30-years-1753152359

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this post am only posting to get a few good responses if possible :).

Is there any way we could extract the properties in the gnome of the tardigrade and genetically engineer them inside of our own gnome ?

Nanotechnology could be instructed to implement the genes ?. If we could we could probably stay alive through space travel.

If anybody is doing there A-Levels don't listen to what I am saying.

Biology news on Phys.org
We currently have decent technology to insert foreign DNA into the genome of human cells (the newly developedhttps://www.physicsforums.com/insights/dont-fear-https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/dont-fear-crispr-new-gene-editing-technologies-wont-lead-designer-babies/-new-gene-editing-technologies-wont-lead-designer-babies/), so no need to turn to nanotechnology. However, understanding which genes allow the tardigrade genome allow it to survive extreme conditions and whether these traits could be transferred to other organisms with very different biology is not clear. Not all of biology is modular and can easily be transferred between organisms, especially properties that rely on the system-wide function of the organism.

Tardigrades are not the only organism to be revived after long periods of time, so there may be different ways of achieving such properties. For example, plants have grown from 30,000 year old seeds: http://www.nature.com/news/wild-flower-blooms-again-after-30-000-years-on-ice-1.10069

I'm not a tardigrade expert but I believe their hardiness stems from their ability to dehydrate their cells.
Modifying humans to do the same would likely require a complete overhaul of the genome, and may not even be possible in the case of neurons. It would be an interesting experiment to see if the tardigrades retain learning after being frozen/desiccated.
In sum, I don't think it's necessarily impossible but there's probably far easier ways to put somebody 'on ice' for space travel.

Keiran OConnor said:
http://gizmodo.com/frozen-tardigrade-brought-back-to-life-after-30-years-1753152359

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this post am only posting to get a few good responses if possible :).

Is there any way we could extract the properties in the gnome of the tardigrade and genetically engineer them inside of our own gnome ?

Nanotechnology could be instructed to implement the genes ?. If we could we could probably stay alive through space travel.

If anybody is doing there A-Levels don't listen to what I am saying.

Highly improbable.

Are you implying that someone "doing there A-Levels" couldn't answer the question, or that they couldn't ask a better question than you have up there? Confused here.

Not implying any of those things, my first post on here was speculative and I was told people studying use this forum for tangible research. Basically saying this isn't tangible just a thought. I only have a A-Level no higher :).

Genome not garden gnome haha

Related to Micro organism brought back to life after 30 years

1. What is the significance of bringing a microorganism back to life after 30 years?

The significance of bringing a microorganism back to life after 30 years is that it provides valuable insights into the survival capabilities of these organisms. It also allows researchers to study the effects of long-term dormancy on microorganisms and how they adapt to changing environments.

2. How was the microorganism able to survive for 30 years without any nutrients or energy?

The microorganism likely entered a state of dormancy, also known as a spore form, where it can remain inactive for long periods of time without requiring nutrients or energy. This is a survival strategy used by many microorganisms to withstand harsh environmental conditions.

3. What conditions are necessary for a microorganism to be brought back to life after 30 years?

The conditions necessary for a microorganism to be brought back to life after 30 years include a suitable environment with the right combination of temperature, moisture, and nutrients. The presence of oxygen and the absence of any harmful substances are also important factors.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with bringing a microorganism back to life after 30 years?

There is always a risk of introducing a potentially harmful microorganism into a new environment, but the likelihood of this happening is low. Extensive testing and precautions are usually taken before reintroducing a microorganism into its natural habitat.

5. How can the discovery of a microorganism surviving for 30 years impact our understanding of life on other planets?

The discovery of a microorganism surviving for 30 years can provide insights into the potential for life to exist on other planets with extreme environmental conditions. It also raises questions about the possibility of dormant microorganisms being present on other planets and their potential for revival under suitable conditions.