Micro Spring (DNA): Determine Energies, Find Expected Length

In summary, the force pulls on the DNA strand to unfold a segment. The first task is to determine the energies of the two states of the segment. The folded segments have the energy ##\epsilon_A=0## and the force now does positive work, so the energy for these segments corresponds to ##\epsilon_{AF}=F*a##. The unfolded segments have the energy ##\epsilon_B=epsilon##, now add the energy from the force ##F## so ##\epsilon_{BF}=\epsilon+F*a##. But I think that the energy is unfortunately wrong, in problem 3 you are supposed to calculate the expected length l for an
GravityX
Homework Statement
Calculate the energy of the various segments, taking into account the work done by the force F during expansion, when it expands.
Relevant Equations
none
Hi

It is about a DNA strand on which there are always two segments, the segment ##A##, which is folded and has the length ##l_A## and the unfolded segment ##B##, which has ##l_B+\lambda##. Here is a section of the DNA

Bildschirmfoto 2022-12-09 um 21.32.08.png

There is now, as shown in the picture, a force ##F## pulling on the strand, to unfold a segment A the energy ##\epsilon## (not dependent on the force ##F##) is needed.

The first task is then:

Determine the energies of the two states of a segment
taking into account the work done by the force ##F## during expansion.

I have now thought of the following: The folded segments have the energy ##\epsilon_A=0## the force now does positive work, so the energy for these segments corresponds to ##\epsilon_{AF}=F*a##.

The unfolded segments have the energy ##\epsilon_B=epsilon##, now add the energy from the force ##F## so ##\epsilon_{BF}=\epsilon+F*a##.

But I think that the energy is unfortunately wrong, in problem 3 you are supposed to calculate the expected length l for an unfolded segment, so ##\langle l \rangle## the result there is ##\langle l \rangle=l_A+\frac{\lambda}{1+e^{\beta(\epsilon-F\lambda)}}##

Before that you had to get the partition function and the probability, I think you need this probability for the expected value.

With the partition function with ##e^{-\beta \epsilon_{BF}}=e^{-\beta (\epsilon_B+Fa)}##

and the probability with ##P=\frac{1}{Z}e^{-\beta (\epsilon+Fa)}## with ##Z=e^{-\beta (\epsilon+Fa)}+e^{-\beta Fa}## is then ##P=\frac{1}{e^{\beta \epsilon}+1}##

I would now have calculated the expectation value with ##l*P##, so ##\langle l \rangle=l_A+\lambda*P##, but unfortunately I don't get the result I'm looking for.

Is my energy simply not right or have I miscalculated somewhere?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I looked at the question again more closely, the task says "when expanding", so the force ensures that the folded segments are unfolded, for this they must be stretched by the length ##\lambda##, so the energy is thus

$$\epsilon_{AF}=F\lambda$$
$$\epsilon_{BF}=\epsilon+F\lambda$$

Would this be correct?

You are the only one who looked at the question "more closely". The rest here don't have that opportunity as you did not post the actual question. :smile:

Likes berkeman

1. What is a micro spring?

A micro spring is a term used to describe a short segment of DNA that behaves like a spring due to its double helix structure. It can be stretched or compressed, and the amount of energy required to do so can be calculated.

2. How do you determine the energies of a micro spring?

The energies of a micro spring can be determined by using mathematical equations that take into account the length, stiffness, and other properties of the DNA molecule. These equations are based on principles of elasticity and can be solved using computer simulations or experimental measurements.

3. What is the expected length of a micro spring?

The expected length of a micro spring can vary depending on the specific DNA sequence and environmental conditions. However, it is typically on the order of a few nanometers (nm) or micrometers (μm).

4. How can the energies of a micro spring be used in scientific research?

The energies of a micro spring can provide valuable insights into the structural and mechanical properties of DNA. This information can be used to better understand DNA-protein interactions, DNA folding and packaging, and other biological processes that involve DNA.

5. What factors can affect the energies of a micro spring?

The energies of a micro spring can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pH, salt concentration, and the presence of other molecules. Changes in these factors can alter the stiffness and length of the DNA molecule, thus affecting its energy profile.