1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Microeconomics homework question-proving that a good is normal

1. May 30, 2012 #1
    Hey,
    I need help with the following question in microeconomics:
    A consumer lives in a world of two goods: computers and money. Let x be the number of computers,the consumer can buy.
    [itex]x\epsilon [0,1,2,3][/itex]
    The consumer has the following preference relation: If the consumer has money and no computers, he is willing to spend at most half of his money on buying a single computer. If the consumer has 1 computer, he is willing to spend 1/3 of his money on buying a second computer. If the consumer has 2 computers, he is willing to spend 1/4 of his money on buying a third computer.

A. Explain why [itex] (0,M)[/itex]~[itex](1,\frac{M}{2})[/itex]~[itex](2,\frac{M}{3})[/itex]~[itex](3,\frac{M}{4})[/itex]

B.Explain why the consumer's preference relation can be represented the following utility function [itex]U(x,M)=(x+1)M[/itex].

C.Prove that computer is not an inferior good

I have managed to solve A,B , however I need help in C.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted