Microsoft Hololens in WIndows 10

In summary, Microsoft has released a new Windows 10 update that allows users to wear virtual reality headsets that allow them to view 3D virtual environments and manipulate them.
Joe Martin
So we've all dreamed about wearing some Star Trek headset that allows you to view virtual things in 3D that you can manipulate...cool future tech yeah? Not any more...Microsoft appears to be releasing just that with the new Windows 10! Here is a link to the site:

http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us

Feel free to post any thoughts or comments below! Go Microsoft!

Computer science news on Phys.org
I think it's the natural progression and I applaud MS for making a push, however the video is a bit of marketing fluff. This technology will take another decade to become useful and prevalent.

I have to admit I'm inclined to agree, however I would like to hope the tech is here! None the less exciting tech and an exciting few decades ahead!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I don't imagine that the prototype has a stellar battery life as it is doing a lot of computing in order to render, for instance, the minecraft environment. I would imagine it would get a bit hot as well.

Yes, Indeed tat would seem so. Although I would think that it would have sorted something out for that. For example, the Oculus Rift uses the Computer's processing power to produce and render it's images. Similarly, I reckon that the Hololens will connect via WiFi or something to a separate computer or Microsoft server to render images etc...before sending back to the lens to recreate.

The HoloLens does not require any external computer (or phone). The unit itself includes within the headset an onboard CPU, a GPU, and a (newly invented) Holographic Processing Unit or HPU. No wires. Heat has been engineered to not be an issue (I've worn it).

lewisshepherd said:
The HoloLens does not require any external computer (or phone). The unit itself includes within the headset an onboard CPU, a GPU, and a (newly invented) Holographic Processing Unit or HPU. No wires. Heat has been engineered to not be an issue (I've worn it).

Oh right! It just seems odd as so much processing would have to be done, but if that's the case then brilliant! And also, how so have you worn it? :)

1. What is Microsoft Hololens in Windows 10?

Microsoft Hololens is a mixed reality device developed by Microsoft that allows users to interact with digital content in the real world. It works with Windows 10 and uses advanced sensors and holographic technology to create a unique and immersive experience.

2. What are the main features of Microsoft Hololens in Windows 10?

The main features of Microsoft Hololens in Windows 10 include gesture and voice recognition, spatial sound, advanced sensors for tracking movement and environment, and the ability to display holographic images on top of the real world.

3. How does Microsoft Hololens in Windows 10 work?

Microsoft Hololens in Windows 10 uses a combination of sensors, cameras, and holographic technology to create a mixed reality experience. The device tracks the user's movements and environment to accurately place holographic objects in the real world, and uses voice commands and gestures for interaction.

4. What are the applications of Microsoft Hololens in Windows 10?

Microsoft Hololens in Windows 10 can be used in a variety of industries, including gaming, education, healthcare, and design. It allows for new ways of interacting with digital content in a real-world context, making it useful for training, visualization, and collaboration.

5. Can Microsoft Hololens in Windows 10 be used for everyday tasks?

Microsoft Hololens in Windows 10 is primarily designed for developers and businesses, but it can also be used for everyday tasks such as browsing the internet, watching videos, and making video calls. However, it is not meant to replace traditional computing devices and is still in its early stages of development.