Min max: optimal quantity of medicine

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum for R'(D) and clarifies that it is not the same as finding the maximum for R(D). The point where R'(D) is a maximum is where R(D) will have no change with a small change in D. To better understand the concept, it is suggested to plot R(D) and R'(D) with a numerical value for C.
Karol

Homework Statement

Capture.JPG

Homework Equations

Minimum/Maximum occurs when the first derivative=0

The Attempt at a Solution

$$R'=2D\left( \frac{C}{2}-\frac{D}{3} \right)-\frac{1}{3}D^2$$
$$R'=0~\rightarrow~D=C$$

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 694
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Karol said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 230882

Homework Equations

Minimum/Maximum occurs when the first derivative=0

The Attempt at a Solution

$$R'=2D\left( \frac{C}{2}-\frac{D}{3} \right)-\frac{1}{3}D^2$$
$$R'=0~\rightarrow~D=C$$
Read carefully.
upload_2018-9-19_15-45-13.png

It discusses the point where ##\ R^\prime (D) \ ## is a maximum, not about the max of ## R(D)\,.##

Also, it may help to write R(D) as: ##\ \displaystyle R(D) = \frac{D^2C}{2}-\frac{D^3}{3} \,.##

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-19_15-45-13.png
    upload_2018-9-19_15-45-13.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 229
$$R'=2D\left( \frac{C}{2}-\frac{D}{3} \right)-\frac{1}{3}D^2,~~R''=C-2D,~~R''=0:~D=\frac{C}{2}$$
But the greatest change in R for a small change in D is where R has a maximum, hence where R'=0, not where R''=0

Karol said:
$$R'=2D\left( \frac{C}{2}-\frac{D}{3} \right)-\frac{1}{3}D^2,~~R''=C-2D,~~R''=0:~D=\frac{C}{2}$$
But the greatest change in R for a small change in D is where R has a maximum, hence where R'=0, not where R''=0
Read the problem again. It's R'(D) which you need to find the maximum for, not finding the maximum for R(D) .

Yes, that's correct, i need the maximum for R', but why?
At the point where R has a maximum, i think, a small change in D makes a big change in R

Karol said:
At the point where R has a maximum, i think, a small change in D makes a big change in R

No, that's where R' is a maximum. R' = 0 is where there is no change with a change in D.

Karol said:

No: at the maximum a small change in ##D## makes NO change in ##R##! The tangent line to the graph ##R = f(D)## is horizontal at an interior maximum; that is why we look for points where the derivative vanishes when maximizing or minimizing.

You really need to have a better intuitive understanding of this material, and to help with that I suggest that you substitute some numerical value for ##C##, then plot ##R(D)## and ##R'(D)##.

Likes SammyS
Thanks

1. What is the concept of "min max" in relation to the optimal quantity of medicine?

Min max refers to the minimum and maximum values of a given variable. In the context of medicine, it is used to determine the optimal amount of a medication that will provide the most benefit with the least amount of side effects.

2. How is the optimal quantity of medicine determined using the min max concept?

The optimal quantity of medicine is determined by finding the minimum effective dose that achieves the desired therapeutic effect, while also identifying the maximum tolerable dose that does not cause harmful side effects. The ideal quantity of medicine lies somewhere between these two values.

3. What factors are considered when determining the optimal quantity of medicine using the min max concept?

The factors that are considered include the patient's age, weight, medical history, current health condition, and severity of the illness. The type and strength of the medication, as well as any potential drug interactions, are also taken into account.

4. Can the optimal quantity of medicine change over time?

Yes, the optimal quantity of medicine can change over time. Factors such as changes in the patient's health status, the development of new medications, and adjustments in the recommended dosages can all impact the optimal quantity of medicine.

5. How does finding the optimal quantity of medicine benefit patients?

Finding the optimal quantity of medicine can benefit patients by minimizing the risk of harmful side effects while still providing the desired therapeutic effect. It also helps to optimize the use of medication and reduce unnecessary costs associated with over or under-medication.