• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Minimizing Area between two functions, one which is constant.

• Thread starter solomar
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Graph the curves y = (x+4)(x-5) and y = ax+2 for various values of a. For what value a is the area between the two curves a minimum?

Homework Equations

y = (x+4)(x-5)
y = ax+2

The Attempt at a Solution

For my attempt I attempted to find the primary equation to optimize. I used Area =
[tex]\int(ax+2-(x+4)(x-5))[/tex]
Since when you graph the two ax+2 is the upper function.
I cannot find a secondary equation to bring it to one variable.

The answer itself is a = -1 (guess and check haha) I am just unsure of how to properly go about minimizing this...
a is what is changing in order for the area to be minimized I understand, and I've exhausted all experimentation with finding a secondary equation in my mind.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated! This problem is already done on my homework (mymathlab so only the answer is needed), I just really would like to figure out how to properly do this!

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
To solve that problem you have to find the values of x where the two curves intersect in terms of a (use the quadratic equation). Then do the integral between those limits. Finally take the derivative with respect to a and set it equal to zero. It's really quite a mess.

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
To solve that problem you have to find the values of x where the two curves intersect in terms of a (use the quadratic equation). Then do the integral between those limits. Finally take the derivative with respect to a and set it equal to zero. It's really quite a mess.
That's for sure! It's a perfect problem for Maple or its ilk. Maple verifies the OP's intuition that a = -1. Maybe it was a Maple type llab exercise in the first place.