Minimizing area of a semicircle bounded by two lines

In summary: I don't know. I think my problem is that I don't understand what signs to use for the integrals. If you could diagram that for me that would be great.In summary, the figure shows a semicircle with radius 1, horizontal diameter , and tangent lines at and . At what height above the diameter should the horizontal line be placed so as to minimize the shaded area?
californicate

Homework Statement

The figure shows a semicircle with radius 1, horizontal diameter , and tangent lines at
and . At what height above the diameter should the horizontal line be placed so as to minimize
the shaded area
http://imgur.com/grrCqWF

Homework Equations

The equation of a circle, x2 + y2 = a2

The Attempt at a Solution

I labeled the horizontal line y=a, and chose to express the area in terms of y, with the origin at the midpoint between P and Q. So A = 0a √(1-y2)dy + ∫?. My problem is currently the second half of the integral as I'm evaluating the area above the function and below some other line, not above the x-axis. Should I be integrating in terms of x? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
californicate said:

Homework Statement

The figure shows a semicircle with radius 1, horizontal diameter , and tangent lines at
and . At what height above the diameter should the horizontal line be placed so as to minimize
the shaded area
http://imgur.com/grrCqWF

Homework Equations

The equation of a circle, x2 + y2 = a2

The Attempt at a Solution

I labeled the horizontal line y=a, and chose to express the area in terms of y, with the origin at the midpoint between P and Q. So A = 0a √(1-y2)dy + ∫?. My problem is currently the second half of the integral as I'm evaluating the area above the function and below some other line, not above the x-axis. Should I be integrating in terms of x? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

You can work the area in the right half of the picture and double it for the total area. Where did you get the ##\sqrt{1-y^2}## from. The radius of the circle is ##a##. If you use a ##dy## element your integrand would be ##x_{right} - x_{left}## and if you use a ##dx## integral the integrand would be ##y_{upper}-y_{lower}##, each with appropriate limits. You can use either for this problem, but you need to try again.

It states in the question the radius of the circle is 1, not a, and so x^2 + y^2 =1 and so x=sqrt(1-y^2)

For the region above the line, what is the range of y? For any given y in that range, what is the value of x on the left half of the circle?

haruspex said:
For the region above the line, what is the range of y? For any given y in that range, what is the value of x on the left half of the circle?

So the range of y above the line is from a(the line) to 1

The value of x is -√1-y2, if it's to the left of the origin at the midpoint.

If I integrate in terms of x, say, I have the integral from 0 to some point of (equation of circle - a) + the integral from that same point to 1 of (a-equation). However, I don't know where that point of intersection is. Does this matter? It's really from where to where I should be integrating that's confusing me.

It is confusing for you to state in the "relevant equations" that the equation of the circle is ##x^2+y^2= a^2## when it is ##x^2+y^2= 1## and then to use ##y=a## for the equation of the horizontal line.

Now that we have that straight, let's call the regions "left of circle", "above circle", and "right of circle" so we know which one we are talking about.

Pick one of the regions, tell us which region and whether you plan to use a ##dy## or ##dx## integral. Then we can discuss the integrand and limits. In any case you need to know the ##(x,y)## coordinates where the line ##y=a## intersects the circle. So tell us that too.

californicate said:
So the range of y above the line is from a(the line) to 1

The value of x is -√1-y2, if it's to the left of the origin at the midpoint.

If I integrate in terms of x, say, I have the integral from 0 to some point of (equation of circle - a) + the integral from that same point to 1 of (a-equation). However, I don't know where that point of intersection is. Does this matter? It's really from where to where I should be integrating that's confusing me.
It looked like you were trying to use y as the variable of integration, so if you don't mind I'll stick with that.
Yes, you have the range for y. If you take a horizontal slice dy thick at height y, the left hand end is at -√1-y2 (relative to the midpoint). Where is the right hand end? How long is the slice? What is its area?

I'm thinking I should only consider the integral of one half and then double it, as it is symmetrical.

I know the total range of x is from 0 to 1. I'll have to integrate this in two parts as the upper and lower function alternate.

The first would be the integral from 0 to the meeting point of the circle and the line a (sqrt(1-x^2)-a). The second would be the integral from the meeting point to 1 of (a-sqrt(1-x^2)).

Since this meeting point is where a= sqrt(1-x^2) so a=1-x^2. So it's coordinates are (sqrt(1-a^2)), a. Is this how I should integrate it?

californicate said:
The first would be the integral from 0 to the meeting point of the circle and the line a (sqrt(1-x^2)-a).
You're talking about a range of y, yes? That should not have an x in the formula. Why not just 0 to a?

1. How do you calculate the area of a semicircle bounded by two lines?

The area of a semicircle bounded by two lines can be calculated by first finding the radius of the semicircle, which is equal to the distance between the two lines. Then, the area can be calculated using the formula A = (π * r^2)/2, where r is the radius.

2. What is the purpose of minimizing the area of a semicircle?

The purpose of minimizing the area of a semicircle is to find the smallest possible area that can be enclosed between two given lines. This can be useful in various mathematical and engineering applications, such as optimizing the use of space or minimizing material usage.

3. How does one go about minimizing the area of a semicircle?

To minimize the area of a semicircle, one can use the derivative of the area formula with respect to the radius, set it equal to 0, and solve for the radius. This will give the radius that results in the minimum area. Additionally, one can use geometry and symmetry to find the minimum area.

4. Can the area of a semicircle bounded by two lines ever be negative?

No, the area of a semicircle bounded by two lines cannot be negative. The area of a shape is always a positive value, representing the amount of space enclosed by the shape.

5. Are there any real-life applications for minimizing the area of a semicircle?

Yes, there are many real-life applications for minimizing the area of a semicircle. For example, in construction and architecture, minimizing the area of a semicircle can help to optimize the use of space and materials. In manufacturing, minimizing the area can help to reduce costs and increase efficiency. Additionally, in mathematics and physics, minimizing the area of a shape is a common problem in optimization and can have practical applications in various fields.