Minimum coefficient of static friction problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations and concepts such as central force, friction, and acceleration in solving a physics problem involving a rotating object. The goal is to determine the necessary speed for the object to experience a force equivalent to 4G. The conversation also touches on the consequences of downward acceleration in a room with no floor and the role of gravity in the problem.
mrknowknow

Homework Statement

I know the diameter is 30 m and the radius is 15
The period for one revolution I suppose is some multiple of 7.03

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't think of an equation where friction was involved where rotational motion was concerned. I used 2pir/7.03 to answer b but of course it was wrong.

Attachments

• question.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 631
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a downward force due to gravity which is balanced by a frictional force. This frictional force is proportional to the central force caused by the rotation (the constant of proportionality is the friction coefficient. Can you find an equation for the central force?

Likes 1 person
Fkn ?

mrknowknow said:
Fkn ?

This equation will be used. But first you must calculate the central force. It is given by
F=m v2 / R. This gives the force normal to the rotating surface.

Likes 1 person
So the central force is the same as the centripetal force?

mrknowknow said:
So the central force is the same as the centripetal force?

Yes. Different names for the same thing

okay because I've never heard central force. So how can I use that equation when I don't know the mass or velocity?

mrknowknow said:
okay because I've never heard central force. So how can I use that equation when I don't know the mass or velocity?

You know that he returns to the same point after 7.03 seconds. How far has he travelled? So what was his speed?

Leave mass in as an unknown for now. Maybe you will have to deal with it later, maybe not...

Likes 1 person
how do I calculate how many rotations he made in 7.03 seconds or do I assume it was one?

I would assume it's 1.

okay so V= (2piR)/t ??

Yes.

okay so the Normal force is equal to mass * acceleration, a= (v^2)/r so N= mv^2 * 1/r ...right?

Yes that's correct

okay friction= μN

μ((mv^2)/r)=mg

m cancels out on both sides and μ=gr/v^2

μ=gr/v^2

μ= ((9.8)(15))/((2∏*15)/(7.03))^2

μ= .818

what about part B??
I really appreciate your help also

Last edited:
Is the guy accelerating downward? So is there a vertical force acing on the guy? You have worked out the equation for the centripetal force (or acceleration), how fast would he have to be going for this force to equal 4 G's?

I don't understand what 4 G's is...how would I know if he is accelerating downward?

G is the gravitational acceleration at the Earth's surface. i.e 9.8 m/s^2.

What would be the consequence of accelerating downward in a room with no floor? Does this happen to the man?

oh okay I didn't deduce that from the question, don't laugh at me but I thought he was referring to the price of the special suit at 4g's meaning $4000. This question totally doesn't make any sense to me. The consequence of accelerating downward in a room with no floor would be a fall right? Where would I find the clue to tell if it had happened to the man.

so actually it's 4*9.8?

Haha. He remains stuck to the wall, so he hasn't fallen out of the ride. If people fell out, they wouldn't allow these rides. So the only force acting on him is the centripetal force.

What speed does he need to go for this to be equivalent to 4G?

(v^2)/r=4(9.8) right?

Sounds good to me.

1. What is the minimum coefficient of static friction problem?

The minimum coefficient of static friction problem is a physics concept that involves determining the minimum amount of friction needed to prevent an object from sliding on a surface. This is important in understanding how different surfaces and materials interact with each other.

2. How is the minimum coefficient of static friction calculated?

The minimum coefficient of static friction is calculated by dividing the force required to keep an object from sliding by the force pressing the object onto the surface. It is represented by the Greek letter "mu" (μ) and is unitless.

3. Why is the minimum coefficient of static friction important?

The minimum coefficient of static friction is important because it helps engineers and scientists determine the best materials to use for different applications. It also helps in understanding how to prevent objects from sliding or slipping on surfaces, which is crucial for safety and stability.

4. How does the type of surface affect the minimum coefficient of static friction?

The type of surface has a significant impact on the minimum coefficient of static friction. Rougher surfaces tend to have higher coefficients of static friction, meaning more force is needed to prevent an object from sliding. Smoother surfaces have lower coefficients of static friction, meaning less force is needed to prevent an object from sliding.

5. Can the minimum coefficient of static friction be greater than 1?

Yes, the minimum coefficient of static friction can be greater than 1. This can happen when there are other forces at play, such as adhesion or suction, that increase the friction between the object and the surface. However, in ideal situations, the coefficient of static friction cannot exceed 1.