1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Minimum Velocity needed to clear a hemisphere

1. Feb 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There is a hemisphere of radius R metres on the ground. You are standing at the very top of the hemisphere and you kick a ball out such that it travels outwards horizontally with speed v metres per second. During the trajectory of the ball, it does not come into contact with the hemisphere at all.
    a) What is the minimum v that can fulfil the above conditions?
    b) How far away from the centre of the hemisphere will the ball land?

2. Relevant equations
    Projectile Motion Equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Looking at the y-axis : vt = L, where L is the horizontal distance travelled after time t
    Looking at the y-axis : H = 0.5*g*t^2, where H is the vertical distance from the top of the hemisphere after time t

Therefore, at time t, the distance of the ball above the ground is R - 0.5*g*t^2.

At the point that is x metres away from the centre, the height of the slice of hemisphere at that point is sqrt(R^2 - x^2).

I can substitute x with vt and get sqrt(R^2 - v^2*t^2)

So now, in order to fulfil the conditions:

R - 0.5*g*t^2 > sqrt(R^2 - v^2*t^2) for t = 0 to the time the ball reaches the ground

Squaring both sides, I get:

R^2 - R*g^2*t^2 + 0.25*g^2*t^4 > R^2 - v^2*t^2 (I think I dont have to change the bigger-than sign to smaller-than because I know that for this range of values, both sides>0)

So if I make v the subject:

v^2*t^2 > R^2 + R*g^2*t^2 - 0.25*g^2*t^4
    v^2 > R^2 + R*g^2*t^2 - 0.25*g^2*t^4/t^2
    v > sqrt(R^2 + R*g^2*t^2 - 0.25*g^2*t^4)/t

But I still have the t term on the Right Hand Side. How do I get rid of it, or is there another way to do this question?

Thanks all in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2010 #2
    Can someone please help me? Thanks

4. Feb 11, 2010 #3

ehild

Homework Helper

there is a mistake: g is not squared:

R^2 - R*g*t^2 + 0.25*g^2*t^4 > R^2 - v^2*t^2

You can subtract R^2 from both sides:

- R*g*t^2 + 0.25*g^2*t^4 > - v^2*t^2

The inequality has to hold for all t, even at t=0. So v^2>R*g. If v is less, the ball rolls downhill.

ehild

5. Feb 11, 2010 #4
    Thank you very much! :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook