Minor mathematical query from Griffiths [QM]

In summary, the analyst is looking for a power series solution for the equation for the oscillator, but is having trouble with an odd value for j. The generalization of the factorial function helps, but the analyst is still having trouble.
maverick280857
Hello all,

I am trying to understand the analytic method for the solution of the (quantum) harmonic oscillator equation.

[tex]-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2} + \frac{1}{2}m\omega^{2}x^{2}\psi = E\psi[/tex]

Let

[tex]\zeta = \sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hbar}}x[/tex]

[tex]K = \frac{2E}{\hbar\omega}[/tex]

We consider

[tex]\psi(\zeta) = h(\zeta)e^{-\zeta^{2}/2}[/tex]

The equation transforms to,

[tex]\frac{d^2 h}{d\zeta^2} - 2\zeta\frac{dh}{d\zeta} + (K-1)h = 0[/tex]

Assuming the power series solution,

[tex]h(\zeta) = \sum_{j=0}^{\infty}a_{j}\zeta^{j}[/tex]

we get the recursion formula,

[tex]a_{j+2} = \frac{2j+1-K}{(j+1)(j+2)}a_{j}[/tex]

For large j,

[tex]a_{j+2} \cong \frac{2}{j}a_{j}[/tex]

So,

[tex]a_{j+2} \cong \frac{2}{j}\frac{2}{(j-1)}\frac{2}{(j-2)}\ldots\frac{2}{1}a_{1}[/tex]

which simplifes to

[tex]a_{j+2} \cong \frac{2^j}{j!}a_{1}[/tex]

But the solution given is

[tex]a_{j} = \frac{C}{(j/2)!} = C \frac{1}{(j/2)}}\frac{1}{((j/2)-1)}\ldots\ldots[/tex]

I think I am missing something here. What am I doing wrong? Also, I know that the [itex](j/2)![/itex] is just notation but what if the "large j" include some possibly odd values? In that case it wouldn't even be defined. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: 800th post...yay

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because the index of [itex]a[/itex] is [itex]j + 2[/itex], I think

maverick280857 said:
[tex]
a_{j+2} \cong \frac{2}{j}\frac{2}{(j-1)}\frac{2}{(j-2)}\ldots\frac{2}{1}a_{1}[/tex]

should, for odd [itex]j[/itex], actually be something like

[tex]
a_{j+2} \cong \frac{2}{j} \frac{2}{ \left(j - 2 \right)} \frac{2}{\left( j - 4 \right)} \ldots \frac{2}{1} a_{1} \cong \frac{1}{j/2 \left( j/2 - 1 \right) \left( j/2 - 2 \right) \ldots 1/2} a_{1}.
[/tex]

For real numbers, the Gamma function generalizes the factorial function.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
George Jones said:
Because the index of [itex]a[/itex]m is [itex]j + 2[/itex], I think

should, for odd [itex]j[/itex], actually be something like

[tex]
a_{j+2} \cong \frac{2}{j} \frac{2}{ \left(j - 2 \right)} \frac{2}{\left( j - 4 \right)} \ldots \frac{2}{1} a_{1} \cong \frac{1}{j/2 \left( j/2 - 1 \right) \left( j/2 - 2 \right) \ldots 1/2} a_{1}.
[/tex]

For real numbers, the Gamma function generalizes the factorial function.

Regards,
George

Thanks again George! I'll look this up.

maverick280857 said:
Assuming the power series solution,

[tex]h(\zeta) = \sum_{j=0}^{\infty}a_{j}\zeta^{j}[/tex]

we get the recursion formula,

[tex]a_{j+2} = \frac{2j+1-K}{(j+1)(j+2)}a_{j}[/tex]

For large j,

[tex]a_{j+2} \cong \frac{2}{j}a_{j}[/tex]

So,

[tex]a_{j+2} \cong \frac{2}{j}\frac{2}{(j-1)}\frac{2}{(j-2)}\ldots\frac{2}{1}a_{1}[/tex]
Your approximation fails with all the terms near the end of the product (ie: j not large). And these terms are significantly larger than terms in the beginning, so the error gets quite big. Or am I messing up ?

Gokul43201 said:
Your approximation fails with all the terms near the end of the product (ie: j not large). And these terms are significantly larger than terms in the beginning, so the error gets quite big. Or am I messing up ?

Yes I think you're right...I thought about it that way (interestingly this is obvious if you expand the "factorials"). But Griffiths has used the approximation anyway.

1. What is the significance of a "minor mathematical query" in Griffiths' book on quantum mechanics?

A minor mathematical query in Griffiths' book refers to a small, specific mathematical problem or calculation that may arise while studying quantum mechanics. These queries often require a basic understanding of mathematical concepts such as linear algebra and calculus.

2. Can you provide an example of a minor mathematical query from Griffiths' book on quantum mechanics?

One example of a minor mathematical query in Griffiths' book is calculating the expectation value of an operator, such as the momentum operator, on a given quantum state. This requires knowledge of the associated eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the operator.

3. How does understanding minor mathematical queries contribute to understanding quantum mechanics?

Understanding minor mathematical queries is crucial for a complete understanding of quantum mechanics. These queries often involve fundamental mathematical concepts that are essential for understanding the underlying principles and equations of quantum mechanics.

4. Are minor mathematical queries only relevant to advanced students of quantum mechanics?

No, minor mathematical queries can arise for students at any level of quantum mechanics. They can range from basic calculations to more complex derivations and are necessary for fully grasping the concepts and equations of quantum mechanics.

5. Is it important to fully understand minor mathematical queries in order to understand quantum mechanics?

Yes, it is important to have a thorough understanding of minor mathematical queries in order to fully comprehend quantum mechanics. These queries often provide insights into the underlying principles and equations of quantum mechanics, and they are essential for solving problems and making predictions in this field of study.