Getting to Mars: Is 4 Days Possible?

• Thread starter Anthony Rocco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of achieving high speeds for space travel and the limitations of current technology. The minimum distance to Mars is 56 million km, and at a constant speed, it would take 4 days to reach it. However, accelerating and decelerating would require a lot of energy and fuel, making it difficult to achieve such speeds. The use of ion rockets and Project Orion's design are also mentioned but have their own limitations. Overall, the current technology is a barrier to achieving such high speeds for space travel.
Anthony Rocco
I'm having trouble putting my head around this , and i was hoping someone could help me out with this. i heard with our current technology they are saying that it is going to take six months to get to mars. What I want to know is how fast would a spaceship have to be going in order to get there in four days.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Minimum distance to Mars = 56million km
At a constant speed in 4 days = 56million/(24*4) = 580,000 km/h

But assuming you accelerated constantly for 2days and then decelerated for 2days.
You would accelerate at 56million km/172,000s = 324km/s^2 (36,000g)
Reaching a maximum speed, halfway there, of 1.1 million km/h

oops thanks astronuc spotted a slight error there.
56million km/(172,000s)^2 = 1.8m/s^2, only about 0.2g

The major difficulty in going fast is the energy needed to accelerate for this long. Which means a lot of fuel which means a lot of mass and so more energy to accelerate the extra mass. You also have to carry enough fuel mass to get back!

Is that possible with today's technology? Yes, we haven't done it, but is that a resources and money barrier, or a technological one to such speeds (and also attained with safe levels of acceleration in the case of human passengers)?

Researcher X said:
Is that possible with today's technology? Yes, we haven't done it, but is that a resources and money barrier, or a technological one to such speeds (and also attained with safe levels of acceleration in the case of human passengers)?

It's a technological barrier for the following reason.

For chemical rockets, it would take more than the mass of the Solar system in fuel to reach the needed speeds to cross the distance in 4 days. And right now, only chemical rockets can produce the amounts of thrust needed to get things up to speed fast enough.

Ion rockets can reduce the amount of fuel needed to get up to speed, but have such a low thrust, that they would take way too long to get up to speed. (much much more than 4 days.)

We just don't have any present day technology capable of producing enough thrust to keep the acceleration times down, while also keeping the fuel ratio down to a reasonable level.

Janus said:
It's a technological barrier for the following reason.
We just don't have any present day technology capable of producing enough thrust to keep the acceleration times down, while also keeping the fuel ratio down to a reasonable level.

How about the spaceship designed by Project Orion, powered by exploding nuclear bombs? That was designed for interstellar as well as cheap interplanetary travel. I'm sure it could muster 0.2g with no problem.

I had assumed Orion ships would be ruled out for intra-solar-system travel due to their huge size but, according to Wiki, there are viable designs that are actually too small to be manned, i.e. probes.

That leaves only bathing the Earth/Mars neighbohood in gouts of lethal radiation as a problem.

Last edited:
ideasrule said:
How about the spaceship designed by Project Orion, powered by exploding nuclear bombs? That was designed for interstellar as well as cheap interplanetary travel. I'm sure it could muster 0.2g with no problem.
Since I wouldn't say that Project Orion resulted in an actual spaceship design, I'd still consider it a technological barrier.

1. How long does it take to get to Mars?

The travel time to Mars varies depending on the trajectory and launch window, but on average it takes around 7 months to reach Mars.

2. Is it possible to get to Mars in 4 days?

No, currently it is not possible to get to Mars in 4 days. The fastest mission to Mars, NASA's Mariner 4, took 228 days to reach the planet.

3. Why does it take so long to get to Mars?

The main reason for the long travel time is the distance between Earth and Mars. The two planets have varying orbits and are at their closest point (or "launch window") every 26 months, which affects the travel time.

4. Could future technology make it possible to reach Mars in 4 days?

Possibly, but it would require significant advancements in propulsion technology. Current space propulsion systems are limited by the amount of fuel they can carry, which affects the overall speed and travel time.

5. How do astronauts survive such a long journey to Mars?

Astronauts on a journey to Mars would need to have adequate supplies of food, water, and oxygen. They would also need to exercise regularly to prevent the negative effects of microgravity on the body. Future missions may also involve spacecraft with artificial gravity to help mitigate the effects of long-term space travel.