1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Missmatch in electrostatic force calc. by different methods

1. Jun 22, 2016 #1
    I have been looking into the forces exerted by electrostatic fields and have come up with different answers using two different methods. I would appreciate any help in pointing to a reference that will reconcile this or point to an error in my methods. To keep things simple I am using a one dimensional model of a capacitor with a layered dielectric as shown in the figure below. The forces are being computed on a unit area basis.

http://C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\LaTeX\Force\Capacitor.png

(I hope the image embeds properly. The help screens were somewhat fuzzy on this)

Many references state that the force on the upper electrode will by given by ##F_u = -\frac{1}{2}\epsilon_0 E_1^2##. It is not clear if the permitivity is always to be the permitivity of free space or if this is the material assumed to be near the electrode. In a similar manner the force on the lower electrode will be ##F_l = \frac{1}{2}\epsilon_0 E_2^2##. A reference for the force on the bound charges at the dielectric interface (see below) shows that this force will be ##F_i = \frac{1}{2}\epsilon_0 (E_1^2-E_2^2)##. As expected the sum of these forces equals zero.

Now for the alternate method. First compute the total energy stored in the capacitor. Next compute the change in the energy with a change of the ##h_1## and ##h_2## dimensions. This gives ##F_u = -\frac{1}{2}\epsilon_1 E_1^2##, ##F_l = \frac{1}{2}\epsilon_2 E_2^2##, and ##F_i = \frac{1}{2}(\epsilon_1 E_1^2-\epsilon_2 E_2^2)##. Once again the sum of the forces is zero. However, the magnitudes are significantly different.

I would appreciate any guidance as to reconciling this difference or pointing to an error in my methods.

Referece = http://phys.columbia.edu/~nicolis/Surface_Force.pdf

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2016 #2
    The image did not load. This basically shows two electrodes separated by a layered dielectric. The upper dielectric is ##h_1## thick with a permitivity of ##\epsilon_1##. The electric field in this material is ##E_1##. Similar for the lower material with the subscript of 2.

Could someone point me to a reference for including .png files in a post.

Thanks - Jerry

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted