Mixing fonts with Word's Find&Replace

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixing
In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to replace words in a different font using Word's Find&Replace feature. The person asking initially couldn't figure out how to do it but eventually discovered that there are options under Find&Replace that allow for controlling font. Another person confirms that this option exists in MS Word.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
Nevermind, I figured it out. If anyone else has the same question, there are options on the Find&Replace feature that allow you to control font and such. I just somehow overlooked the font one.
_________
I'm typing up a phonetic transcription of a play using a special phonetic font and Keyman keyboard in Word. I have the original, normal text on the bottom and am typing my transcription above it, deleting the bottom text as I go.
I would like to save myself some time and trouble by Finding & Replacing as many words as possible, usng Word's Find&Replace. BUT I can't figure out how to Replace a word with another word in a different font.
The phonetic font doesn't have many of the normal characters, or if it does, the key assignments are different. If I change the normal text to the phonetic font, it becomes quite nonsensical.
I could figure out and memorize what each normal character changes into in the phonetic font and just try reading the untranscribed text in the phonetic font. But I would much rather be able to Replace words with a different font than they were originally typed in. Does anyone know if or how I can do that?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
You've already found the answer. Yes, MS word has an option to set font under Find and Replace. It is hidden under "More options>>"

1. How do I use Word's Find&Replace to mix fonts?

To mix fonts using Word's Find&Replace, you can follow these steps:

• Open your Word document and press Ctrl+F to open the Find and Replace window.
  • In the Find what field, type the text you want to change the font of.
  • In the Replace with field, type the same text but with the font you want to use.
  • Click on More to reveal more options.
  • Check the box next to Use wildcards.
  • In the Replace with field, type \<font> followed by the font name, and then \</font>.
  • Click Replace All to change all instances of the text with the new font.

2. Can I use different fonts for different parts of a word using Find&Replace?

Yes, you can use Word's Find&Replace to mix fonts for different parts of a word. You can follow the same steps as mentioned in the first question, but instead of typing the entire word in the Find what field, you can just type the part of the word you want to change the font of.

3. How do I mix fonts for a whole document using Find&Replace?

To mix fonts for a whole document using Find&Replace, you can follow these steps:

• Open your Word document and press Ctrl+A to select the entire document.
  • In the Find what field, leave it blank.
  • In the Replace with field, type \<font> followed by the font name, and then \</font>.
  • Click Replace All to change the font for the whole document.

4. Can I mix fonts for specific formatting, such as bold or italic, using Find&Replace?

Yes, you can mix fonts for specific formatting using Find&Replace. In the Find what field, you can type the specific formatting, such as \<b> for bold or \<i> for italic. In the Replace with field, you can type the same formatting with the desired font.

5. Will mixing fonts using Find&Replace change the default font for my document?

No, mixing fonts using Find&Replace will not change the default font for your document. It will only change the font for the specific instances you have selected. To change the default font for your document, you will need to go to the Font section in the Home tab and select a new font.