Mmmmmm Something very interesting I found about inequalities

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of inputting known values first when solving inequalities, as well as paying attention to the signs involved. It is debated whether it is better to input values at the beginning or throughout the solving process, with the conclusion that it may be more practical to input values first.
drtg45
So I was brainstorming:bugeye: trying to find what I did wrong in this chemistry problem:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=627731 (simple algebra no chemistry knowledge required)

And I noticed something peculiar about the process of solving inequalities, let me sum up in a phrase what I found:

"When solving inequalities the VERY FIRST thing we should do is input the known values of all the variables we have in the inequality"

In the problem in the previous link what I did was solve for T first and then at the very end input all the values to get a numerical answer (just as I have been doing all my life with equations), doing it that way I got a wrong answer because there was a change of direction in the inequality sign:

ΔG=ΔH-TΔS

0>ΔH-TΔS

-ΔH>-TΔS

[itex]\frac{-ΔH}{-ΔS}[/itex]<T (the inequality sign changes direction when we multiply or divide both sides by a negative number right?)

[itex]\frac{ΔH}{ΔS}[/itex]<T (signs cancel each other)

[itex]\frac{-114.1kJ}{-146.4·10^-3kJ/K}[/itex]<T (we input the values)

780K<T

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In contrast when I repeat the problem inputting the values first I get the correct answer:

ΔG=ΔH-TΔS

0>ΔH-TΔS

0>-114.1kJ-T(-146.4·10[itex]^{-3}[/itex]kJ/K)

114.1kJ>-T(-146.4·10[itex]^{-3}[/itex]kJ/K)

114.1kJ>T(146.4·10[itex]^{-3}[/itex]kJ/K)

[itex]\frac{114.1kJ}{146.4·10^-3kJ/K}[/itex]>T

780K>T , indeed when the temperature is lower than 780K the inequality 0>ΔG is satisfied, ΔG is negative, and the reaction is spontaneous!

So please someone aware me on this, is the fact that the very first step in solving an inequality is to input the values and then continue with the solving process kind of an unwritten rule or something? Because I never heard of it! then again I don't think I ever solved inequalities with more than one variable.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Notice that your ΔS is negative, so when you divide by -ΔS you are actually dividing by a positive number, and therefore the ">" sign does not change. The issue is less with inputting values first as it is with paying close attention to your signs.

It's certainly easy, from a practical point of view, to put in the values first, so you know if you're multiplying/dividing by a negative number, which would change the inequality sign. Mathematically, if you consider separate cases for each variable being positive or negative, it makes no difference.

jgens said:
Notice that your ΔS is negative, so when you divide by -ΔS you are actually dividing by a positive number, and therefore the ">" sign does not change. The issue is less with inputting values first as it is with paying close attention to your signs.

That would require foreshadowing of the values of the variables, which means constantly looking back and forth at the known data which in my opinion can be distracting (at least for me) when your mind is working on a different qualitative realm (imagining atoms bouncing around, atomic bonds being broken and formed, which atoms bonds with which and why, the vibrational frequency of the molecules, etc...) as opposite to the quantitative computational math realm. Maybe it is better to just input the values in the beggining and get the foreshadowing and looking back and forth over with!

Thank you for sharing your interesting observation about inequalities in solving chemistry problems. I can confirm that the concept of inputting known values first when solving inequalities is not an unwritten rule, but rather a fundamental principle in mathematics. Inequalities, like equations, follow the same rules of algebra, and one of those rules is that when we multiply or divide both sides of an inequality by a negative number, the direction of the inequality sign changes. This can lead to incorrect solutions if we do not input the known values first, as you experienced in your problem. Therefore, it is important to always input known values first when solving inequalities to ensure the correct direction of the inequality sign. This is a good reminder for all of us to be mindful of this principle in our problem-solving processes. Keep up the good work in your chemistry studies!

Related to Mmmmmm Something very interesting I found about inequalities

1. What are inequalities?

Inequalities are mathematical statements that compare two values or expressions and show how they are different. They use symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥ to indicate the relationship between the values.

2. How are inequalities used in science?

Inequalities are used in science to represent and analyze relationships between variables in experiments or observations. They can be used to determine if certain conditions or factors have an impact on a particular outcome.

3. What is the difference between an inequality and an equation?

An inequality compares two values or expressions, while an equation shows that two values or expressions are equal. Inequalities also have a range of possible solutions, while equations have only one solution.

4. What are the different types of inequalities?

The four main types of inequalities are:
- Linear inequalities, which involve linear expressions and can be represented on a number line
- Quadratic inequalities, which involve quadratic expressions and can also be represented on a number line
- Rational inequalities, which involve rational expressions and can be represented on a number line or in interval notation
- Absolute value inequalities, which involve absolute value expressions and can also be represented on a number line or in interval notation

5. How do inequalities affect real-life situations?

Inequalities are used in real-life situations to represent and solve problems that involve comparisons of quantities. For example, they can be used to determine if a certain amount of a medication is safe for a patient based on their weight, or to analyze the relationships between different factors in a scientific experiment.