Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modeling a wire grid polarizer.

1. Sep 22, 2011 #1
    Hello,

I keep myself busy by trying to model/predict standing waves in the optical path of a heterodyne spectrometer we built in our lab.

We split and combine the local oscillator and the sky (it's for astronomy) with a beam splitter. Our beam splitters are wire grid polarizers.

The Idea is simple: if our wire grid is in the (y;z) plane, with the wires along the z axis, then:
    • the z component of the electric field E of the incident wave is reflected
    • and the y component passes through.
    Therefore we split the incoming beam into two linearly polarized beams.

First question:

What happens to the x component of E ? E does have a component along x since the TEM wave can hit the grid at any angle.

Second question:

Modeling the grid at order 0 is trivial: just set up a matrix for a 4-port device with zeros and ones in it for each polarization. But reality is not that simple, and I need to include parameters such as the width of the wires, their spacing, and the resistivity of their metal. Also, I need to keep the phase information.

How would you approach the problem ? I imagine that there is something smarter to do than brute-forcing Maxwell. :yuck:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted