Modeling T-Stub as Beam (having difficulty)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the slope of a T-stub joint at the bolt in order to determine the bending stress of the bolt. The beam analysis requires that the slope at each side of the beam is zero, but there are multiple unknowns and equations, making the problem statically indeterminate. The individual has tried various methods to solve the problem, but is still struggling and is seeking assistance from others. They have also updated their analysis by assuming the deflection at the bolt is equal to the bolt reaction divided by the bolt stiffness and have provided all of their equations for reference. However, there is an error in the calculations, and they are asking for help in identifying and resolving it.
tricha122
Hi all, I am trying to find the slope of a T-stub joint at the bolt in order to find the bending stress of the bolt.

I have drawn 1/2 of the T-stub as a beam. The beam analysis requires (for physicality) that the slope at each side of the beam to be zero. There is an applied load, a bolt load, and a prying load.

This problem is certainly statically indeterminate... I have tried a few methods of circumventing this (superposition, deflection equations) yet still always end up with 1 more unknown than equation.

Can anyone take a look and see if (a) I am making the right assumptions, and (b) how to tackle this problem?

Much appreciated!

Attachments

• beam_analysis.png
    beam_analysis.png
    24 KB · Views: 484
Engineering news on Phys.org
I have since updated my analysis by assuming the deflection at the bolt is equivalent to the bolt reaction divided by the bolt stiffness, kb.

I have attached all of my equations.

I am getting Rb = 43 and Rc = 13 , (with applied load of T = 30) in my beam analysis.

Modeling the beam in ANSYS i get RB = -10, RC = 20 ... So there appears to be an error somewhere.

Anyone feel like looking through my scribble to help me out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• beam_analysis.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 275

1. How do you model a T-Stub as a beam?

To model a T-Stub as a beam, you can use a finite element analysis software such as ANSYS or ABAQUS. First, you will need to create a 3D model of the T-Stub, including all the necessary dimensions and material properties. Then, you can apply appropriate boundary conditions and loads to the model and run the analysis to obtain the stresses and deflections.

2. What are the challenges of modeling a T-Stub as a beam?

One of the main challenges of modeling a T-Stub as a beam is accurately representing the complex geometry and loading conditions. The T-Stub has both axial and bending loads, and the stress distribution can vary significantly along the length of the beam. Additionally, the presence of fillets and welds can complicate the modeling process.

3. How does the T-Stub differ from a traditional beam?

The T-Stub differs from a traditional beam in its geometry and loading conditions. Unlike a traditional beam, which is usually a simple rectangular shape, the T-Stub has a T-shaped cross-section with varying dimensions. Additionally, the T-Stub experiences both axial and bending loads, while a traditional beam typically only experiences bending.

4. What factors should be considered when modeling a T-Stub as a beam?

When modeling a T-Stub as a beam, it is essential to consider the material properties, geometry, boundary conditions, and loading conditions. The material properties, such as Young's modulus and yield strength, will affect the stress and deflection of the beam. The geometry of the T-Stub, including the dimensions and fillet/weld details, will also impact the results. Lastly, the boundary conditions and loading conditions should be carefully chosen to accurately represent the real-world scenario.

5. How can the accuracy of the T-Stub beam model be validated?

The accuracy of the T-Stub beam model can be validated by comparing the results from the finite element analysis to experimental data or analytical solutions. If possible, conducting physical tests on a prototype T-Stub can provide valuable data for validation. Additionally, the results can be compared to simplified analytical solutions, such as the beam theory equations, to ensure the model's accuracy.