Modern Algebra - Finite Subgroups of Q*

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the subgroups of Q* under multiplication and determining if there are any other finite subgroups besides Q+ and multiples. The properties of association, closure, inverse, and identity must be satisfied for a group to be a subgroup. The conversation also considers whether {-1,1} is a finite subgroup and suggests using generating sets to simplify the problem. Ultimately, the inverse of 6^(n) is identified as being 6^(-n), and it is concluded that Q+ and multiples are the only finite subgroups of Q*.
ESLASL1

Homework Statement

Find all the subgroups of Q* (set of all non-zero rational #s) under multiplication. Explain how you know that Q* has no other finite subgroups.

Homework Equations

The subgroups must satisfy the properties of association, closure, inverse, and identity.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have determined that Q+ under multiplication is a subgroup (and is not cyclic) but is this the only one? Would I also include multiples? For example, 6^n where n is an integer under multiplication. How do I know there are no other finite subgroups?

Physics news on Phys.org
Neither of the subgroups you've found so far is a finite subgroup. I assume you want to find finite subgroups?

You are right. I do want finite subgroups of Q* and neither of the two I mentioned are as such. Thank you for pointing this out. Of course, now I am even more frustrated and unclear as to how to pursue the solution.

ESLASL1 said:
You are right. I do want finite subgroups of Q* and neither of the two I mentioned are as such. Thank you for pointing this out. Of course, now I am even more frustrated and unclear as to how to pursue the solution.

Is {-1,1} a finite subgroup?

Hint: If a group contains an element [itex]x[/itex], then it must contain all powers of [itex]x[/itex].

ESLASL1 said:
For example, 6^n where n is an integer under multiplication
You forgot about inverses. You may want to consider this question in terms of generating sets, it will probably be easier.

Last edited:
JonF said:
You forgot about inverses.

The inverse of 6^(n) is 6^(-n). I think if n is an integer, -n is also an integer.

I read natural for some reason, you are right.

1. What is Modern Algebra and why is it important?

Modern Algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It is important because it provides a framework for understanding and solving complex mathematical problems in various fields of science and engineering.

2. What are finite subgroups of Q*?

Finite subgroups of Q* (or rational numbers) are groups that consist of a finite number of elements from the set of rational numbers. These subgroups can be represented by a finite set of fractions with integer numerators and denominators.

3. How are finite subgroups of Q* classified?

Finite subgroups of Q* are classified into two main types: cyclic and non-cyclic. Cyclic subgroups have a single generator that can generate all of its elements, while non-cyclic subgroups do not have this property. Additionally, finite subgroups can also be further classified based on their order (the number of elements in the subgroup).

4. What are some real-world applications of finite subgroups of Q*?

Finite subgroups of Q* have numerous applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and physics. They are also used in the construction of mathematical models for natural phenomena, such as crystal structures, chemical reactions, and particle interactions.

5. How can one determine if a given set of rational numbers forms a finite subgroup of Q*?

To determine if a given set of rational numbers forms a finite subgroup of Q*, one can use the subgroup test. This involves checking if the set is closed under multiplication and inverses, and if it contains the identity element (1). If all of these conditions are met, then the set forms a finite subgroup of Q*.