Modern Physics: Center of Momentum Speed

In summary, the center of momentum is a reference frame in which the total momentum of a system of particles is zero. In non-relativistic systems, it is equivalent to the center of mass. In relativistic systems, it is preferred over the center of mass. Its velocity can be calculated using the ratio of the total relativistic momentum to the total relativistic energy.
Grieverheart
Center of momentum?

Hi there,i'm giving exams this tuesday on modern physics and I stumpled upon a problem which i couldn't find an answer in my book and internet.The problem in a few words asks you to find the speed of the center of momentum when 2 particles collide.Can someone please give a definition of the "center of momentum speed" and formulas or links please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Grieverheart said:
Hi there,i'm giving exams this tuesday on modern physics and I stumpled upon a problem which i couldn't find an answer in my book and internet.The problem in a few words asks you to find the speed of the center of momentum when 2 particles collide.Can someone please give a definition of the "center of momentum speed" and formulas or links please?

I don't know what is "center of momentum". They probably had in mind "center of mass" [itex] \mathbf{R} [/itex]. In relativistic quantum mechanics it is also known as the Newton-Wigner position operator. For a classical system of non-interacting particles with positions [itex] \mathbf{r}_i [/itex] and energies [itex] e_i [/itex] the definition is

[tex] \mathbf{R} = E^{-1} \sum_i e_i \mathbf{r}_i [/tex].....(1)

where

[tex] E= \sum_i e_i [/tex]

is the total energy of the system. In the non-relativistic case, when the rest energy dominates, one gets [itex] E \approx Mc^2 [/itex], [itex] e_i \approx m_ic^2 [/itex], and

[tex] \mathbf{R} = M^{-1} \sum_i m_i \mathbf{r}_i [/tex]

the familiar definition of the "center of mass".

The center of mass of any isolated system always moves along straight line with constant velocity. This is true also for interacting systems of particles, whose center-of-mass is given by formulas more complicated than (1).

Eugene.

Here is a geometric interpretation.

Consider a system of particles. Add up their 4-momenta [using either the parallelogram rule or the tail-to-tip method] and obtain the resultant 4-momentum vector. The center of momentum is the reference frame with unit vector tangent to that resultant 4-vector.

In the current frame, this vector has components of the form
[tex]E \hat t + P \hat s = M(\cosh\theta \hat t + \sinh\theta \hat s)=M\cosh\theta(\hat t+\tanh\theta \hat s) = M\cosh\theta(\hat t+V \hat s)[/tex],
where [itex]V\hat s[/itex] is the velocity of that center-of-momentum-frame.
Writing
[tex]E \hat t + P \hat s = E (\hat t +\frac{P}{E}\hat s),[/tex]
we can express that velocity as the ratio of relativistic-spatial-momentum to relativistic-energy: [tex]V=\frac{P}{E}[/tex].

In that center of momentum frame, the relativistic-spatial-momentum [itex]P'[/itex] in that frame is zero.

In short, the center-of-momentum-frame is along the resultant,
and the velocity of that frame [with respect to our frame] is "the slope of the resultant" in our coordinates.

Related to Modern Physics: Center of Momentum Speed

1. What is the center of momentum speed?

The center of momentum speed is the speed at which the total momentum of a system is equal to zero. This means that the center of mass of the system is at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

2. How is the center of momentum speed calculated?

The center of momentum speed is calculated by taking the total momentum of the system and dividing it by the total mass of the system. This can be represented by the equation: v = p/m, where v is the center of momentum speed, p is the total momentum, and m is the total mass.

3. Why is the concept of center of momentum speed important in modern physics?

The concept of center of momentum speed is important in modern physics because it allows us to understand the behavior of systems that involve multiple objects moving at different velocities. It helps us to determine the overall motion of the system and can be used to predict the outcome of collisions between objects.

4. Can the center of momentum speed be greater than the speed of light?

No, the center of momentum speed cannot be greater than the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. Therefore, the center of momentum speed cannot exceed this limit.

5. How does the center of momentum speed change in different reference frames?

The center of momentum speed remains the same in all reference frames. This is a fundamental principle in physics known as the conservation of momentum. This means that regardless of the observer's perspective, the total momentum of a system will remain constant, and therefore the center of momentum speed will also remain constant.