Modifying rectifier circuit to include LED indicator

In summary, the modified rectifier circuit would have LED indicators to show when the battery is being charged.
snoggerT
You bought a charger that does not have a charging satus indicator. Assuming that a regular rectifier circuit configuration (such as this: http://www.physics.udel.edu/~nowak/phys645/AC_circuits_files/image016.jpg ) is used for the charger, modify the rectifier circuit to have LED indicator(s) and explain how the modified circuit would work.

The Attempt at a Solution

- I'm not at all sure on this one. I was originally thinking to add an LED in series with the load and explain that the load (rechargeable battery) would block the current once it was charged, and that would cause the LED to shut off, but I don't think that is how rechargeable batteries work. Can someone please help me on this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Once the battery recharge,the current flow through the circuit and the LED lighted isn't it ?

I am not familiar with charging circuits. I just looked at the schematic, there is no way to stop charging the battery when it is full, I won't use this to charge.

Is it true that when the battery is fully charged, it rise to a certain voltage. You need a voltage monitor to monitor this and shut off the charging circuit and turn on the LED.

Look into Maxim catalog, maybe Linear technology. They have battery charging circuits. Read application articles before you do anything. I afraid if you use the circuit as shown, there is no current limiting and no shut off. You might blowup the battery at the minimum or catch on fire!

You might even find off line switching regulator charger IC since there is a lot of transformerless charger already. As I said I have no experience but been going through enough data books online to know there are stuff around to do the job. After that, check DigiKey to order.

1. What is a rectifier circuit and how does it work?

A rectifier circuit is an electronic circuit that converts alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC). It typically uses diodes to allow current to flow in one direction only, resulting in a pulsating DC output. This allows electronic devices to be powered by AC power sources, such as wall outlets.

2. Why would I want to modify a rectifier circuit to include an LED indicator?

Adding an LED indicator to a rectifier circuit can provide a visual confirmation that the circuit is functioning properly. This can be especially useful in applications where the circuit is hidden or difficult to access.

3. What components are needed to add an LED indicator to a rectifier circuit?

In addition to the diodes and other components already present in the rectifier circuit, you will need an LED, a current-limiting resistor, and a suitable power source for the LED. The LED must be connected in parallel with the output of the rectifier circuit, and the resistor must be connected in series with the LED.

4. How do I calculate the value of the current-limiting resistor for the LED?

The value of the current-limiting resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law (R = V/I), where R is the resistance in ohms, V is the voltage across the resistor (equal to the supply voltage minus the forward voltage of the LED), and I is the desired current through the LED (typically between 5-20 mA). It is recommended to use a slightly higher resistance value to ensure the LED does not burn out.

5. Are there any safety concerns to be aware of when modifying a rectifier circuit to include an LED indicator?

Yes, it is important to ensure that the LED and resistor are rated for the voltage and current of the circuit, and that all connections are secure. It is also recommended to use a fuse or other overcurrent protection device in case of a short circuit. It is always best to consult a professional or do thorough research before making any modifications to electronic circuits.