Solve Molality to Mass Homework Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a lab experiment where an unknown solute was mixed with pure cyclohexane. The freezing points of the unknown and cyclohexane were measured, along with the Kf of cyclohexane. Using this information, the molality of the unknown was calculated to be .416 mol/kg. The next task is to find the mass of the unknown that would dissolve in 1kg of cyclohexane to give the same molal concentration. Lastly, the molar mass of the unknown needs to be determined, but this cannot be done until the mass of the unknown is found. The person asking for help is unsure how to find the mass and is seeking assistance.
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

Hi. This is a question based on a lab I did.

We mixed an unknown solute in a solution of pure cyclohexane. Based on numbers we got from our lab, we were asked to find the molal concentration of the unknown. The freezing point of the unkown was found to be 1.5 C and the freezing point of the cyclohexane was found to be 6.7 C. Therefore Delta Tf is 5.2 C. the Kf of the cyclohexane was found to be 12.5 C/molality.

so i found the molality of the unkown to be .416 mol/kg

we are asked now to find the mass of the unkown that would dissolve in 1kg of cyclohexane to give the same molal concentration that we had in our solution.

i'm not seeing how the heck i can find mass from this the information I have.

We will lastly have to find the molar mass of the unkown. I can't find this until i have figured out the mass of the unkown

any help would be appreciated! thank you

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Please describe precisely the experiment as it was done and all information you were given. I agree that at present there is not enough data, but could be you are ignoring some crucial information not seeing how it is related to the question.

--
methods

1. How do I convert molality to mass?

To convert molality to mass, you will need to know the molar mass of the solute and the molality of the solution. The formula for converting molality to mass is: mass = molality * molar mass * kg of solvent. Simply plug in the values and solve for mass.

2. Can I use any unit for molality and mass?

No, it is important to use the correct units when converting molality to mass. Molality should be expressed in mol/kg and mass should be in grams. Make sure to convert any other units to these before using the formula.

3. What is the difference between molality and molarity?

Molality and molarity are both ways of expressing the concentration of a solution, but they use different units. Molality is the number of moles of solute per kilogram of solvent, while molarity is the number of moles of solute per liter of solution. Molality is a more accurate measure of concentration, especially at different temperatures.

4. What if I don't know the molar mass of the solute?

If you do not know the molar mass of the solute, you can find it by using the periodic table or by calculating it using the elemental composition of the compound. You can also look it up in a chemistry reference book or online.

5. Is there a quick way to check my answer?

Yes, you can check your answer by using the following formula: molality = moles of solute / kg of solvent. If your calculated molality matches the molality given in the problem, then your answer is correct.