Moment of force about a point

In summary, the moment of force Fa about point O can be determined using the right hand rule, where the direction of rotation is determined by the direction of the force and the direction of the fingers on the right hand. The distance must also be perpendicular to the force for an accurate determination of the moment. Additionally, when rotating Fx around point P, the moment will be negative due to the direction of the thumb being faced down.
BigJon

Homework Statement

The moment of force Fa about point O

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to setup with breaking the force into x,y component but how to tell if its rotating cw or ccw about the point. I think y is ccw but i can't tell on x. I think i would use right hand rule but need to know how to do it correctly.

Attachments

• physics.jpg
    physics.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 479
Physics news on Phys.org
Right hand rule would work here. How did you come to conclusion that Fy
"rotates" ccw? If You know the distance and direction of the force, it's easy to determine the direction of moment.

The distance has to be perpendicular to the force, and your fingers have to be directed in the direction of the force, i.e. the direction of rotation. Your palm shows moment direction.

Well to setup the prob it would be like -200cos(60)(9in)+200sin(60)(30in), but why is the first term negative if x pulls straight out? My prof. didnt pull this from the book. Maybe I'm not understanding the principle behind moments etc.

BigJon said:
Well to setup the prob it would be like -200cos(60)(9in)+200sin(60)(30in), but why is the first term negative if x pulls straight out? My prof. didnt pull this from the book. Maybe I'm not understanding the principle behind moments etc.

Please check the photo that i attached. If you try to rotate Fx around point P, your thumb would be faced down which is the negative z direction, and therefore that moment is also negative.

Attachments

• rotation.JPG
    rotation.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 411

The moment of force about a point is a measure of the tendency of a force to cause rotation around that point. To determine if the rotation is clockwise or counterclockwise, you can use the right-hand rule. Simply point your right thumb in the direction of the force and curl your fingers in the direction of rotation. If your fingers curl in a clockwise direction, the force is rotating clockwise about the point. If your fingers curl in a counterclockwise direction, the force is rotating counterclockwise about the point. You can also use the cross product to determine the direction of rotation, with the direction of the cross product being the direction of rotation.

1. What is a moment of force about a point?

A moment of force about a point, also known as torque, is the measure of the tendency of a force to rotate an object about a specific axis or point. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance between the force and the axis.

2. How is the moment of force about a point calculated?

To calculate the moment of force about a point, you need to determine the perpendicular distance between the force and the axis of rotation. Then, multiply this distance by the magnitude of the force. The unit for moment of force is Newton-meters (Nm).

3. What factors affect the moment of force about a point?

The moment of force about a point is affected by the magnitude of the force, the distance between the force and the point of rotation, and the angle between the force and the line of action. Increasing any of these factors will result in a larger moment of force.

4. How does the direction of the force affect the moment of force about a point?

The direction of the force affects the moment of force about a point by changing the angle between the force and the line of action. The moment of force is largest when the force is applied perpendicular to the line of action, and it becomes smaller as the angle between the force and the line of action increases.

5. What is the importance of understanding moment of force about a point in real-world applications?

Understanding moment of force about a point is crucial in many real-world applications, such as engineering, construction, and mechanics. It allows us to predict how a force will affect the rotation and stability of an object, and helps us design and build structures and machines that can withstand external forces.