1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of force

1. Jan 11, 2012 #1
    The way that I can understand how torque works is to say that the greater distance from the rotation axis that you apply your force, the greater power you are delivering to your object - since the farther you are away from the rotational centre the faster something is moving on your rotating object.
    But the way my book derives the relationship
    (1) Ʃτ = Iα
    is kind of mysterious to me, as I don't see where my interpretation shows up during the steps.
    They say let F be a force applied to the object. Every i'th particle will experience an acceleration such, that the angular velocity is the same for our rigid body. We thus have:
    Fi = mi * a = mi * r * α
    And multiplying with r yields:
    τi = mi * r^2 * α
    And summing over all torques gives us (1) - i.e. the rotational analogue of Newtons 2nd law. All there is left to show is then that the internal torques add to zero, but that's simple. I just don't see where the energy interpretation appears in this derivation - can someone open my eyes? :)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted