Calculating Moment of Inertia for Rigid Bodies | Physics Help Needed

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of moment of inertia for a cube with equal edges using the formula I_{CM}=\int r^2 dm. The speaker's original calculation of the integral was incorrect as it did not take into account the fact that moment of inertia must be measured about an axis. The correct integral is ∫∫∫x²dxdydz + ∫∫∫y²dxdydz + ∫∫∫z²dxdydz, giving the final answer of \frac{Ma^2}{6} with ρ taken into account. The conversation also mentions the usefulness of this concept in physics.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I've been trying to calculate the moment of inertia (with respect to the center of mass) of several rigid bodies (including 2 dimensional ones) but I never reached any good answer.
For example a cube whose edges are equal to [tex]a[/tex].
My work : From wikipedia and at least 2 physics books, [tex]I_{CM}=\int r^2 dm[/tex]. From my notes it's equal to [tex]\int _{\Omega} \rho \zeta ^2 dV[/tex].
My alone work : [tex]dV=dxdydz[/tex] and as [tex]\rho[/tex] (the density) is constant I can write [tex]I_{CM}=\rho \int_{-\frac{a}{2}}^{\frac{a}{2}} x^2 dx \cdot \int_{-\frac{a}{2}}^{\frac{a}{2}} y^2 dy \cdot \int_{-\frac{a}{2}}^{\frac{a}{2}}z^2dz[/tex]. Calculating this I get that [tex]I_{CM}=\rho \left( \frac{a^3}{12^3} \right)=\frac{M}{V}\cdot \frac{V}{12^3}=\frac{M}{12^3}[/tex].
I never took calculus III yet so I never dealt with triple integrals and even double ones. I'm guessing that I'm multiplying the 3 integrals and that instead I should be adding them or something like that, but I don't know why at all. I'd be glad if you could help me.
P.S. : I considered the origin of the system as being the center of mass of the cube.

Physics news on Phys.org
moment of inertia must be measured about an axis

Hi fluidistic! :smile:

(have an integral: ∫ and a rho: ρ and a squared: ² :wink:)
fluidistic said:
I've been trying to calculate the moment of inertia (with respect to the center of mass) of … a cube whose edges are equal to [tex]a[/tex].

[tex]I_{CM}=\rho \int_{-\frac{a}{2}}^{\frac{a}{2}} x^2 dx \cdot \int_{-\frac{a}{2}}^{\frac{a}{2}} y^2 dy \cdot \int_{-\frac{a}{2}}^{\frac{a}{2}}z^2dz[/tex]. Calculating this I get that [tex]I_{CM}=\rho \left( \frac{a^3}{12^3} \right)=\frac{M}{V}\cdot \frac{V}{12^3}=\frac{M}{12^3}[/tex].

i] r² = x² + y² + z², not times, so your integral would be

∫∫∫x²dxdydz + ∫∫∫y²dxdydz + ∫∫∫z²dxdydz

(but that's still wrong, because:)

ii] moment of inertia must be measured about an axis

I expect you've been misled by 2D questions which ask for the moment of inertia "about a point" … but they really mean about the axis coming straight out of the page through that point …

so the integral for the z-axis, say, would be ∫∫∫x²dxdydz + ∫∫∫y²dxdydz :smile:

Thank you very much tiny-tim.
I haven't been mislead by anything but myself.
I'll try to do it and do a lot of more complicated cases. I really like this part of Physics.
EDIT : I'm not sure I got it right. Can you confirm if the answer is [tex]\frac{Ma^2}{6}[/tex]. I had not to forget about [tex]\rho[/tex].

Last edited:
Thank you very much once again.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia, also known as rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is similar to mass in linear motion, but instead applies to rotational motion.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. The formula is I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the difference between moment of inertia and moment of force?

Moment of inertia is a property of an object that determines its resistance to rotational motion, while moment of force is a measure of the force's tendency to cause rotational motion. Moment of inertia depends on the object's shape and mass, while moment of force depends on the applied force and the distance from the axis of rotation.

4. How does moment of inertia affect an object's rotational motion?

Moment of inertia affects an object's rotational motion by determining how much torque is needed to change its rotational speed. Objects with larger moments of inertia will require more torque to change their rotational motion, and objects with smaller moments of inertia will require less torque.

5. How can I calculate the moment of inertia for irregularly shaped objects?

For irregularly shaped objects, the moment of inertia can be calculated by dividing the object into smaller, simpler shapes and using the parallel axis theorem to calculate the moment of inertia for each shape. The individual moments of inertia can then be added together to find the total moment of inertia for the object.