Moment of Inertia of Curve without Prefix

In summary, the moment of inertia for the curve y=(2/9)x^2 revolved around the y-axis can be found using the formula I=\int r^2 dm. By considering a cylindrical element of width dy and radius x, with a volume of dV=(\pi x^2)dy, the moment of inertia of this element about the y-axis is dI= \frac{1}{2} x^2 \rho (\pi x^2)dy. To find the moment of inertia of the entire curve, the integral I= \int_{0}^{\frac{2x^2}{9}} \frac{1}{2} \rho \pi x^4 dy must be used
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Consider the curve y=(2/9)x^2 revolved around the y-axis. Find the moment of inertia about the y-axis

Homework Equations

[tex]I=\int r^2 dm[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I considered a cylindrical element of width dy and radius x, so that it's volume is

[tex]dV=(\pi x^2)dy[/tex]

Now the moment of inertia of this element about the y-axis is

[tex]dI= \frac{1}{2} x^2 \rho (\pi x^2)dy[/tex]

so to get the moment of inertia of this entire curve, I just need to integrate like so

[tex]I= \int_{0}^{\frac{2x^2}{9}} \frac{1}{2} \rho \pi x^4 dy[/tex]

Where [itex]x=\sqrt{4.5y}[/itex]

is this correct??

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi rock.freak667! :smile:
rock.freak667 said:
Consider the curve y=(2/9)x^2 revolved around the y-axis. Find the moment of inertia about the y-axis

uhh? what are the limits?

and do you mean curve, so that you get a surface, or the area within the curve, so that you get a volume? :confused:
Now the moment of inertia of this element about the y-axis is

[tex]dI= \frac{1}{2} x^2 \rho (\pi x^2)dy[/tex]

That's correct (assuming the question means a volume) :smile:
so to get the moment of inertia of this entire curve, I just need to integrate like so

[tex]I= \int_{0}^{\frac{2x^2}{9}} \frac{1}{2} \rho \pi x^4 dy[/tex]

Where [itex]x=\sqrt{4.5y}[/itex]

Noooo … your x4 has to be converted into y if you're integrating over y

(and where did you get those limits from??)

An alternative method (which doesn't assume knowledge of MI of a solid cylinder) is to use cylindrical shells of thickness dr :wink:

Well I just made up the question but I will put the limits from x=0 to x=4 to get a volume.

But I am not sure how to do these questions as one example in my book has the method of considering an elemental disk like I did and another example has to use a triple integral. So I am not sure which one to use and when to use. Not even sure how to find the limits for the triple integral ones as well.

rock.freak667 said:
Well I just made up the question but I will put the limits from x=0 to x=4 to get a volume.

ok, then your πρx4/2 has to be converted to 81/4 πρy2, and the integral has to be from y = 0 to 32/9.
But I am not sure how to do these questions as one example in my book has the method of considering an elemental disk like I did and another example has to use a triple integral. So I am not sure which one to use and when to use. Not even sure how to find the limits for the triple integral ones as well.

The general rule is that if you have a symmetry, then use it.

For example, if there is spherical symmetry, use spherical shells.

If there's only rotational symmetry (ie, in one dimension), you can use discs, as you did (but it needs you to remember the MI for a disc), or cylindrical shells.

If there's no symmetry, you'll probably have to divide into into slices of thickness dz (say), and then divide each slice into strips of thickness dy (say) …

to find the limits, just draw a diagram, with x y z dy and dz marked, and it should be obvious what the limits are on each strip.

What is moment of inertia of a curve?

Moment of inertia of a curve is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion around a particular axis. It takes into account the distribution of mass along the curve and the distance of each element of mass from the axis of rotation.

How is moment of inertia of a curve calculated?

The moment of inertia of a curve can be calculated using the formula I = ∫ r² dm, where I is the moment of inertia, r is the distance from the axis of rotation to each element of mass, and dm is the differential mass element of the curve.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a curve?

The moment of inertia of a curve is affected by the shape of the curve, the distribution of mass along the curve, and the axis of rotation. It is also affected by the size and density of the object.

What are some real-world applications of moment of inertia of a curve?

Moment of inertia of a curve is important in designing and analyzing the motion of objects in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used in designing structures like bridges and skyscrapers, analyzing the motion of vehicles and satellites, and determining the stability of rotating objects.

How does moment of inertia of a curve differ from moment of inertia of a point mass?

Moment of inertia of a curve takes into account the distribution of mass along the curve, while moment of inertia of a point mass only considers the mass of a single point. Moment of inertia of a curve is a continuous measure, while moment of inertia of a point mass is a discrete measure.