1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia question

1. Jun 13, 2009 #1
    can somebody please tell what i am doing wrong with this moment of area question???

question and working in the attached doc

thanks alot

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

To calculate the second moment about the x-axis, you have to choose a horizontal element dA, because only a horizontal element has a constant y. I don't know why you chose vertical strips and used their centers as the y value, but your method is not right.

To calculate Ix, express dA in terms of y and you'll get dA=(sqrt(ay)-y)dy. Integrate y^2 dA from 0 to a and you'll get the correct answer, a^4/28. I have no idea how your lecturer got to his equation for Ix, but it's probably unnecessarily complicated because the method I just described leads to the right answer very quickly.

To calculate Iy, choose vertical elements and express dA in terms of x. Then integrate x^2 dA from 0 to a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook