Moment of Inertia Calculation for a Horizontal Element

In summary, the conversation is about a question on calculating the second moment about the x-axis. The speaker advises that a horizontal element should be chosen instead of vertical strips. They also provide a method for calculating the correct answer quickly. To calculate Iy, the speaker suggests choosing vertical elements and expressing dA in terms of x.
kieranl
can somebody please tell what i am doing wrong with this moment of area question?

question and working in the attached doc

thanks alot

Attachments

• inertia.doc
    140 KB · Views: 213
Physics news on Phys.org
To calculate the second moment about the x-axis, you have to choose a horizontal element dA, because only a horizontal element has a constant y. I don't know why you chose vertical strips and used their centers as the y value, but your method is not right.

To calculate Ix, express dA in terms of y and you'll get dA=(sqrt(ay)-y)dy. Integrate y^2 dA from 0 to a and you'll get the correct answer, a^4/28. I have no idea how your lecturer got to his equation for Ix, but it's probably unnecessarily complicated because the method I just described leads to the right answer very quickly.

To calculate Iy, choose vertical elements and express dA in terms of x. Then integrate x^2 dA from 0 to a.

Related to Moment of Inertia Calculation for a Horizontal Element

1. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a physical property of an object that describes its resistance to rotational motion. It is defined as the sum of the products of the mass of each particle in the object and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula I = Σmr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the particle, and r is the distance of the particle from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the difference between moment of inertia and moment of force?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, while the moment of force is a measure of the tendency of a force to cause rotational motion. They are both related to rotational motion, but they have different physical meanings.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect an object's rotational motion?

The moment of inertia determines how an object will respond to a given torque or force applied to it. Objects with a larger moment of inertia will be harder to rotate, while objects with a smaller moment of inertia will be easier to rotate.

5. What factors affect the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia depends on the mass and distribution of mass in the object, as well as the axis of rotation. The shape and size of the object also play a role in determining the moment of inertia.