1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia tensor for a laminar

1. Dec 29, 2013 #1
    Hi,

Consider a 2D laminar only rotating about the z axis, with the axis origin at the bottom left hand corner and adjacent sides coinciding with the z and x axes.

so ω = (0,0,ωz)

y = 0

I dont understand how the IXZ component is 0 to just leave the IZZ component?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2013 #2
    There must be something wrong[itex]\int xz dA[/itex]is not zero. I suppose we are talking about the inertia tensor components, however the moment of inertia with respect to the z axes is just I_zz

4. Dec 30, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the reply,

Sorry I didn't explain properly, i'm not getting Ixz = 0, thats whats confusing me if the moment of inertia for an object rotating only about the z axis is Izz why is Ixz non 0?

5. Dec 30, 2013 #4
    the expresion for the moment of inertia of an object rotating about a direcction [itex]\hat{n}=(n_1,n_2,n_3)\,\,is\,\,I_{\hat{n}}=\sum_{ik}I_{ik}n_in_k[/itex] so when it rotates about the z axes only I_zz matters

6. Dec 30, 2013 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In general, the products of inertia (Ixy, Iyz, Ixz) are zero only when there are axes of symmetry for the particular body undergoing rotation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook