Moment of inertia tensor for a laminar

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
jamie.j1989
Messages
76
Reaction score
0
Hi,

Consider a 2D laminar only rotating about the z axis, with the axis origin at the bottom left hand corner and adjacent sides coinciding with the z and x axes.

so ω = (0,0,ωz)

y = 0

I don't understand how the IXZ component is 0 to just leave the IZZ component?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There must be something wrong[itex]\int xz dA[/itex]is not zero. I suppose we are talking about the inertia tensor components, however the moment of inertia with respect to the z axes is just I_zz
 
Thanks for the reply,

Sorry I didn't explain properly, I'm not getting Ixz = 0, that's what's confusing me if the moment of inertia for an object rotating only about the z axis is Izz why is Ixz non 0?
 
the expresion for the moment of inertia of an object rotating about a direcction [itex]\hat{n}=(n_1,n_2,n_3)\,\,is\,\,I_{\hat{n}}=\sum_{ik}I_{ik}n_in_k[/itex] so when it rotates about the z axes only I_zz matters
 
In general, the products of inertia (Ixy, Iyz, Ixz) are zero only when there are axes of symmetry for the particular body undergoing rotation.