Moment of inertia tensor for a laminar

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of moment of inertia for a 2D laminar rotating about the z axis. The speaker is confused about the value of Ixz and how it can be zero while the moment of inertia for rotation about the z axis is Izz. The other speaker explains that in general, the products of inertia are only zero when there are axes of symmetry for the body undergoing rotation.
jamie.j1989
Hi,

Consider a 2D laminar only rotating about the z axis, with the axis origin at the bottom left hand corner and adjacent sides coinciding with the z and x axes.

so ω = (0,0,ωz)

y = 0

I don't understand how the IXZ component is 0 to just leave the IZZ component?

Physics news on Phys.org
There must be something wrong[itex]\int xz dA[/itex]is not zero. I suppose we are talking about the inertia tensor components, however the moment of inertia with respect to the z axes is just I_zz

Thanks for the reply,

Sorry I didn't explain properly, I'm not getting Ixz = 0, that's what's confusing me if the moment of inertia for an object rotating only about the z axis is Izz why is Ixz non 0?

the expresion for the moment of inertia of an object rotating about a direcction [itex]\hat{n}=(n_1,n_2,n_3)\,\,is\,\,I_{\hat{n}}=\sum_{ik}I_{ik}n_in_k[/itex] so when it rotates about the z axes only I_zz matters

In general, the products of inertia (Ixy, Iyz, Ixz) are zero only when there are axes of symmetry for the particular body undergoing rotation.

Related to Moment of inertia tensor for a laminar

What is the moment of inertia tensor for a laminar?

The moment of inertia tensor for a laminar is a mathematical representation of how an object's mass is distributed around its rotational axis. It takes into account the object's shape, size, and mass distribution.

Why is the moment of inertia tensor important?

The moment of inertia tensor is important because it helps us understand an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is a crucial parameter in many engineering and physics applications, including designing structures, analyzing the behavior of rotating bodies, and predicting the stability of a system.

How is the moment of inertia tensor calculated?

The moment of inertia tensor is calculated by integrating the mass distribution of an object over its entire volume. This can be a complex mathematical process, but for simple shapes, there are standard formulas that can be used to calculate the moment of inertia tensor.

What are the units of the moment of inertia tensor?

The units of the moment of inertia tensor depend on the units of mass and length used in the calculation. Generally, it is expressed in units of mass multiplied by distance squared (kg*m^2).

What is the difference between moment of inertia and moment of inertia tensor?

The moment of inertia is a scalar value that represents an object's resistance to rotational motion around a specific axis. The moment of inertia tensor, on the other hand, is a matrix that represents an object's resistance to rotational motion around any axis. It takes into account the object's shape and mass distribution, while the moment of inertia only considers the object's mass and the distance from the axis of rotation.