Momentum and kinetic energy of pieces resulting from an explosion

In summary, momentum and kinetic energy are two important concepts in physics that describe the motion and energy of an object. While momentum is determined by an object's mass and velocity, kinetic energy depends on an object's mass and speed. In an explosion, the total momentum and kinetic energy of the resulting pieces will be equal to the initial object's. However, the individual pieces may have different momentum and kinetic energy values depending on the strength and direction of the explosion. These values can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and energy equations.
phosgene

Homework Statement

A body at rest contains an explosive device which when ignited fractures the body in two pieces, one of which is two times as massive as the other.

i) Why must the pieces travel in opposite directions?

ii) How much more momentum does the larger object have, than the smalller?

iii) How much more kinetic energy does the larger object have, than the smaller?

Homework Equations

p = mv, p = momentum, m = mass and v = velocity

KE = (1/2)mv^2, KE = kinetic energy

The Attempt at a Solution

i) The pieces must travel in opposite directions due to the conversation of momentum. As the body was at rest before the explosion, and the explosion should exert roughly equal force in every direction, there is no net external force on the object and so their momentum after the explosion should add up to 0. The only way for this to happen (excluding the possibility that the objects remain at rest) is if they travel in opposite directions.

ii) As the individual momentums of the objects must equal 0, the larger object has the same amount of momentum as the smaller. This can be explained by the smaller object, which has a small mass, having a higher velocity to compensate, thereby giving the same momentum.

If p = momentum, m = mass of smaller object, v = velocity of larger object and x is an unknown, then mxv=2mv.

Rearranging this gives x = 2, therefore the smaller object will have a velocity twice that of the larger object.

iii) KE = (1/2)mv^2,

For the smaller object:

KE = (1/2)m(2v)^2 = 2mv^2

For the larger object:

KE = (1/2)2mv^2 = mv^2

Therefore the smaller object will have twice as much kinetic energy as the larger object.Have I done this correctly? I'm a bit unsure about iii)!

Physics news on Phys.org
i)correct
ii)correct
iii) and correct again !

Nice explanation by the way, i can't write that good !

PS: Are you phosgene from chemical forums?

Oh, thank you :)! And no, I'm not, though I do have an account there :p

1. What is the difference between momentum and kinetic energy?

Momentum and kinetic energy are both important concepts in physics, but they are not the same thing. Momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity, while kinetic energy is a measure of an object's mass and speed. In other words, momentum describes the quantity of motion an object has, while kinetic energy describes the amount of energy an object has due to its motion.

2. How are momentum and kinetic energy affected in an explosion?

In an explosion, the total momentum and kinetic energy will be conserved. This means that the total momentum and kinetic energy of the pieces resulting from the explosion will be equal to the momentum and kinetic energy of the initial object.

3. Can the momentum and kinetic energy of the pieces in an explosion be calculated?

Yes, the momentum and kinetic energy of the pieces can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and energy equations. These equations take into account the masses and velocities of the pieces before and after the explosion.

4. Is it possible for the momentum and kinetic energy of the pieces to be different after an explosion?

Yes, the momentum and kinetic energy of the pieces can vary depending on the type and force of the explosion. If the explosion is strong enough, the pieces may have a higher momentum and kinetic energy than the initial object.

5. How does the direction of the explosion affect the momentum and kinetic energy of the resulting pieces?

The direction of the explosion does not affect the total momentum and kinetic energy of the pieces. However, the direction of the explosion can determine the direction and speed of individual pieces, which will affect their individual momentum and kinetic energy values.