Momentum at the speed of light

In summary: That left A. I then went to the formula p = mv (m is the rest mass and v is velocity), which matches A. So the answer has to be A.In summary, according to special relativity, the value of the electron's momentum is larger than predicted by Newtonian mechanics because at high speeds, the electron's mass increases and it responds to forces and collisions as if its mass were greater than its rest mass. This is represented by the equation p = m(Vo)/sqrt(1-beta^2). Statement B and C are false and the correct answer is A.
JDiorio

Homework Statement

Why is the value of the electron's momentum according to special relativity larger than that predicted by Newtonian mechanics?

A. At high speeds, the electron responds to forces and collisions as if its mass
were greater than the rest mass
B. At high speeds, the total momentum of two colliding particles is not conserved
C. Special relativity only applies at speeds close to the speed of light

Homework Equations

p= m(Vo)/sqrt(1-beta^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that the answer is A because as the velocity of an object approaches the speed of light, the momentum increases because its mass begins increase. So therefore at high speeds it would act as if its mass is greater than if it were at rest. Please let me know if this is the correct answer. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
you're correct, at high speeds it's mass energy is greater than that of it's rest mass, so it's mass (and therefore momentum) increases, also seen by [tex] E = \frac{mc^2}{root(1-B^2)} [/tex]

JDiorio said:

Homework Statement

Why is the value of the electron's momentum according to special relativity larger than that predicted by Newtonian mechanics?

A. At high speeds, the electron responds to forces and collisions as if its mass
were greater than the rest mass
B. At high speeds, the total momentum of two colliding particles is not conserved
C. Special relativity only applies at speeds close to the speed of light

Homework Equations

p= m(Vo)/sqrt(1-beta^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that the answer is A because as the velocity of an object approaches the speed of light, the momentum increases because its mass begins increase. So therefore at high speeds it would act as if its mass is greater than if it were at rest. Please let me know if this is the correct answer. Thank you

Well it is true but there is something that is not fully clear here;

Statement C is also right, if an object is not close to the speed of light the change in its mass can be neglectible,it is just so little.But it is still appliable.So i guess the answer is A but in my opinion statement C should be clearer anyway...

thanks a lot for everyone's help!

Glad it worked out. I solved this by process of elimination; without thinking much about it B and C are false statements.

1. What is momentum at the speed of light?

Momentum at the speed of light refers to the momentum of an object when it is traveling at the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity, and it follows the principles of special relativity.

2. How does momentum change at the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of special relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, its momentum increases exponentially. At the speed of light, an object's momentum would theoretically be infinite. However, reaching the speed of light is impossible for objects with mass due to the concept of mass-energy equivalence.

3. What is the equation for calculating momentum at the speed of light?

The equation for calculating momentum at the speed of light is p = E/c, where p is momentum, E is energy, and c is the speed of light. This equation is a special case of the general momentum equation, p = mv, where m is mass and v is velocity. At the speed of light, an object's velocity (c) is constant, so its momentum is directly proportional to its energy.

4. Can anything travel at the speed of light?

According to the principles of special relativity, objects with mass cannot reach the speed of light. However, massless particles, such as photons, can travel at the speed of light. Additionally, the expansion of the universe is causing distant galaxies to move away from us at speeds close to the speed of light.

5. What are some real-life applications of momentum at the speed of light?

Understanding momentum and its behavior at the speed of light is crucial for fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and engineering. It helps scientists and engineers design and build technologies such as particle accelerators, spacecraft, and communication systems. Additionally, the principles of momentum at the speed of light are crucial for understanding the behavior of the universe on a cosmic scale.