Momentum collision between the ball and the floor

In summary, the conversation discusses the conservation of horizontal and vertical momentum during the first collision between a ball and the floor. The Homework Equations section includes the formula for momentum, p=mv. The individual attempting the solution is unsure if the horizontal momentum decreases or remains constant, but knows that the vertical momentum decreases. They also mention that the distance traveled by the ball may decrease during the collision, but are unsure about the specifics. The conversation ends with a discussion about how momentum is a vector and how it changes according to Newton's laws.
physicssss

Homework Statement

I throw a ball horizontally

During the first collsion between the ball and the floor
Select one:
a. Both horizontal and vertical momentum of the ball are conserved
b. The horizontal momentum of the ball decreases and the vertical momentum decreases
c. The horizontal momentum of the ball decreases and the vertical momentum remains the same
d. The horizontal momentum of the ball remains the same and the vertical momentum increases
e. The horizontal momentum of the ball remains the same and the vertical momentum decreases

Homework Equations

p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that vertical momentum of a ball decreases but I'm not sure if the horizontal momentum decreases or remains constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that vertical momentum of a ball decreases but I'm not sure if the horizontal momentum decreases or remains constant.
Please show reasoning.
What makes you think that vertical momentum decreases?
Why doesn't the same argument apply to the horizontal?

Presumably the ball does not gain or lose mass - so something else must change if the momentum is to change. What is it?
Dividing the motion of the ball into horizontal and vertical components - which direction has the change and when?

ok well think about it like this. if you drop a ball and it bounces back up its velocity decrease as it goes back up because its distance decreases as it bounces back up. and since momentum=velocity multiply by mass i think momentum decreases.

Now for the case of the horizontal momentum i just don't know. I think the horizontal distance should decrease thus decreasing horizontal velocity thus decreasing horizontal momentum but that part I am not to sure of because something in my head tells me the distance is content but something else in my head tells me the distances decreases like how a series would by a certain amount each time until it reaches a certain distance travelled. that's why i need help to understand the horizontal part.

Not bad ... but I don't know what you mean by "distance decreases". Vertical displacement decreases after the bounce sure, then it increases again as it changes direction and horizontal displacement surely increases (you've seen a ball bouncing along right?)

Recall that momentum is a vector.
Looking only at the vertical motion - assume no losses in the collision to make it simple - what is different about the vertical momentum before and after the collision?

Recall Newton's laws - under what circumstances does momentum change?

The correct answer is c. The horizontal momentum of the ball decreases and the vertical momentum remains the same. This is because in a collision between two objects, the total momentum of the system is conserved. In this case, the ball and the floor are the two objects involved in the collision. The horizontal momentum of the ball decreases because some of its momentum is transferred to the floor upon impact. However, the vertical momentum of the ball remains the same because the floor exerts an equal and opposite force on the ball, causing it to bounce back up with the same speed and momentum. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system (where no external forces act) remains constant.

1. What is momentum collision?

Momentum collision is a type of collision that occurs when two objects come into contact with each other and exchange momentum. This is also known as an elastic collision, where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved.

2. How is momentum calculated in a collision between a ball and the floor?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its velocity. In the case of a collision between a ball and the floor, the momentum of the ball before and after the collision can be calculated using the equation p = m * v.

3. Does the momentum of the ball change after colliding with the floor?

Yes, the momentum of the ball changes after colliding with the floor. This is because the floor exerts an external force on the ball, causing a change in its velocity and therefore its momentum.

4. How does the elasticity of the floor affect the momentum collision between the ball and the floor?

The elasticity of the floor affects the momentum collision by determining how much of the kinetic energy is conserved during the collision. A more elastic floor will result in a higher conservation of energy, while a less elastic floor will result in a lower conservation of energy.

5. Can the momentum of the ball and the floor be equal after the collision?

No, the momentum of the ball and the floor cannot be equal after the collision. This is because momentum is always conserved in a closed system, meaning the total momentum before and after the collision must be equal. Since the floor has a much greater mass than the ball, its velocity must be much smaller in order to conserve momentum.