Momentum Conversion: Why p-hat^2/2m = p^2/2m?

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the p-operator on a wave function in momentum space. The conversation also delves into the use of the p-operator with the Fourier transform and how its application can result in a psi' and a psi. The conversation also touches upon the importance of using the correct conventions in the Fourier transform.
ehrenfest
Why does
[tex] 1/\sqrt{2\pi\hbar }\int p-hat/2m * \psi(x) exp(-ipx/\hbar)*dx = p^2/2m \phi(p) [/tex], where phi(p) is that wavefunction in momentum space
?

I understand why [tex] 1/\sqrt{2\pi\hbar }\int \psi(x) exp(-ipx/\hbar)*dx = \phi(p) [/tex].

by the way, how do you make hats in latex

EDIT: It should be [tex] 1/\sqrt{2\pi\hbar }\int p-hat^2/2m * \psi(x) exp(-ipx/\hbar)*dx = p^2/2m \phi(p) [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
try

[tex]\hat{p}[/tex]

And have done the p operator on the wave function?

malawi_glenn said:
And have done the p operator on the wave function?

So, I should apply the opetor then do IBT two times to get rid of the second derivative? Aren't you left with a psi' and a psi if you do that?

malawi_glenn said:
If you do the p operator to the right:

[tex] \hat{p}(\psi(x) exp(-ipx/\hbar))/(2m) [/tex]

what do you get?

[tex] -i\hbar \frac{d \psi}{dx} exp(-ipx/\hbar)/(2m) [/tex]
and if you apply it twice you get

[tex] \frac{\hbar^2 d\psi} {dx^2} exp(-ipx/\hbar)/(2m) [/tex]

Last edited:
ehrenfest said:
Because I stupidly left out the squared sign after the [tex] \hat{p} [/tex] !

Ah, ok that explains why i got zero from my first calculation;)

Now check at the tips given in that thread I gave you, read all posts, you shall find how to apply the p-operator when it is "squared", and when it is applied to a function that is a product of two functions. Then after that, perform the Fourier-transformation.

I probably gave you the wrong thread for showing you how to apply the p-operator to an arbitrary function. The operator is always going as far to the right as possible.

So:

[tex] -i\hbar \frac{d }{dx} (\psi (x)exp(-ipx/\hbar))/(2m) [/tex]

use product rule for differentiation.

malawi_glenn said:
I probably gave you the wrong thread for showing you how to apply the p-operator to an arbitrary function. The operator is always going as far to the right as possible.

So:

[tex] -i\hbar \frac{d }{dx} (\psi (x)exp(-ipx/\hbar))/(2m) [/tex]

use product rule for differentiation.

I am pretty sure it the operator only applies to psi here. Perhaps I made another mistake in the initial post but I am not sure. The original equation which I did not show was:

[tex]\hat{p}/2m \psi(x) - g\delta(x) \psi(x) = -|E|\psi(x)[/tex]

my book then multiplies [tex]1/\sqrt(2\pi\hbar)exp( - ipx/\hbar)[/tex] to both sides and then integrates.

Since you usually multiply things on the left, I think that you would not apply the operator to the exponential. I rearranged it because I did not think it made a difference. I thought an operator took as its argument only the function immediately following it. Was that wrong?

Iam just stating what is usual in Quantum mechanics. But try both and see. Then write some clearer and nicer forumulas so can we see if it is good and maybe some more guys can come and help.

This operator is a differential operator, and therefore one must be careful, we do not multiply operators, we operate with them =P

[tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{ 2\pi\hbar}}\int \frac{\hat{p}}{2m} \psi(x) e^{-ipx/\hbar}dx = \frac{\hbar^2}{2m\sqrt{ 2\pi\hbar}} \int \frac {d^2}{dx^2}\ \psi(x) e^{-ipx/\hbar}dx [/tex]

If I integrate this by parts twice I get an expression with a psi'(x) and a psi(x) which I do not know how to get rid of.

ehrenfest said:
[tex] -i\hbar \frac{d \psi}{dx} exp(-ipx/\hbar)/(2m) [/tex]
and if you apply it twice you get

[tex] \frac{\hbar^2 d\psi} {dx^2} exp(-ipx/\hbar)/(2m) [/tex]

ummm... no, on both counts. But anyways, this whole thread is confused, so let me just sort it out for you.

We can write psi (a function of x) as a Fourier transform like this:
[tex]
\psi(x)=\int \frac{dp}{2\pi}e^{ipx}\phi(p)
[/tex]

Then

[tex]
\frac{d}{dx}\psi(x)=\frac{d}{dx}\int \frac{dp}{2\pi}e^{ipx}\phi(p)
=\int \frac{dp}{2\pi}\left(\frac{d}{dx}e^{ipx}\right)\phi(p)
=\int \frac{dp}{2\pi}ipe^{ipx}\phi(p)
[/tex]

And

[tex]
\frac{d^2}{dx^2}\psi(x)=\int \frac{dp}{2\pi}(ip)^2e^{ipx}\phi(p)\;.
[/tex]

The only problem is that i^2.
Should the exponential be exp( -ipx)? We want to show that

[tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{ 2\pi\hbar}}\int \frac{\hat{p}}{2m} \psi(x) e^{-ipx/\hbar}dx = p^2/2m [/tex]

and there is no sign change there.

Last edited:
ehrenfest said:
The only problem is that i^2.
That is there because I acted with [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex] and
not [tex]-i\frac{d}{dx}[/tex] which is the momentum operator in position space.

Should the exponential be exp( -ipx)?
This depends on your Fourier transform conventions and does not change the physics. Typically the Fourier transform conventions are specified in the way I specified them--A function of x (In this case \psi(x)) is written with the plus sign in the exponential of the Fourier kernel and a function of p is written with the minus sign in the exponential.

We want to show that

[tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{ 2\pi\hbar}}\int \frac{\hat{p}}{2m} \psi(x) e^{-ipx/\hbar}dx = p^2/2m [/tex]

and there is no sign change there.

I doubt very much that anyone in their right mind has asked you to show that the above is true... the above makes no sense.

I'm sorry, but it just doesn't make sense.

I have a feeling that the problem comes from how you are thinking about Fourier transforms. But, keep at it and you will understand eventually. Good luck.

I see. Thanks.

1. What is momentum conversion?

Momentum conversion is the process of converting the momentum of a particle from one form to another. This can occur through various interactions, such as collisions or accelerations.

2. What is p-hat^2/2m?

P-hat^2/2m is a mathematical expression that represents the kinetic energy of a particle. It is derived from the classical equation for kinetic energy, E=1/2mv^2, where p-hat represents the momentum of the particle.

3. Why is p-hat^2/2m equal to p^2/2m?

This is because p-hat and p represent the same quantity - the momentum of the particle. The "^2" notation simply means that the value is squared, so both expressions are mathematically equivalent.

4. How does momentum conversion relate to energy conservation?

Momentum conservation is a fundamental principle in physics, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that when momentum is converted from one form to another, the total amount of momentum remains the same. Since momentum is directly related to kinetic energy, this also means that energy is conserved in the process.

5. Can momentum conversion occur without any change in energy?

Yes, momentum can be converted from one form to another without any change in energy. This can happen in elastic collisions, where the total kinetic energy of the system remains constant even though some of the momentum is transferred between particles.