Momentum,impulse, force question

• Thread starter study earth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: So the final velocity of each car is:$$ v_{fA} = (m_A v_{iA}-m_B v_{iB}) \cdot (m_A v_{fA}-m_B v_{fB})$$ and the initial velocity is:$$ v_{iA} = (m_A v_{iA}+m_B v_{iB}) \cdot (m_A v_{fA}+m_B v_{fB})$$
study earth
Hi,

i have a question iv been working on for 4 hours and I am soo confused.

My example is a bumper car in a elastic collision.

bumper car A travels at 3ms-1 east with a mass of 180kg
Bumper car B travels at 4ms-1 west witha mass of 200kgs.
the momentum before the collision is 1340kgms-1..this will be equal to momentum after the collision.

Car A travels at 1.5ms-1 after the collision int he opposite direction west
while Car B travels at 5.35ms-1 to the east.

what i need help with is change in momentum.

what is the change in momentum for both cars.

Δmomentum= F* T ( how am i supposed to get the average force for both cars)
the contact time was 2 secs but what is the change in momentum?

i don't get if its change in momentum for the whole system or just 1 car?

please help me out..

feel free to substitue any values for F or T etc..keep it simple as well (im only 16)

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
If there is no other force acting on cars A and B during the collision, then the total momentum of the A&B system does not change. This is "conservation of momentum". What may and usually does change is the momentum of each car.

hi thanks for that.
yes momentum for car a and b does change..
so can i get change in momentum for car A?
will it be final momentum (270Kgms-1 to west) - Inital momentum ( 540kgms-1 to the east)

what i don't get is how to calculate impulse when both Bumper car A and b collide...?
what force do i use?
what change in momentum do i use?
I know the Time?Thank you

In a fully elastic collision you have conservation of momentum and you have conservation of energy. Together they are a system of two equations for two unknowns that you then solve. Let ## m_A ## and ## m_B ## be the masses of the cars, and ## v_{iA}, \ v_{iB}, \ v_{fA}, \ v_{fB} ## be their initial and final velocities. Conservation of momentum: $$ m_A v_{iA} + m_B v_{iB} = m_A v_{fA} + m_B v_{fB} $$ Conservation of energy: $$ \frac {m_A v_{iA}^2} {2} + \frac {m_B v_{iB}^2} {2} = \frac {m_A v_{fA}^2} {2} + \frac {m_B v_{fB}^2} {2} $$

Related to Momentum,impulse, force question

1. What is the difference between momentum and impulse?

Momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to continue moving in the same direction at the same speed. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. Impulse, on the other hand, is the change in an object's momentum due to a force acting on it for a certain period of time.

2. How does force affect an object's momentum?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force is directly proportional to the change in an object's momentum. This means that the greater the force acting on an object, the greater the change in its momentum.

3. Can an object have momentum without having mass?

No, an object must have mass in order to have momentum. This is because momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. If an object has zero mass, its momentum will also be zero.

4. How does impulse affect an object's velocity?

Since impulse is the change in an object's momentum, it will also affect the object's velocity. The greater the impulse, the greater the change in momentum and therefore the greater the change in velocity.

5. What is the relationship between momentum and kinetic energy?

Momentum and kinetic energy are both measures of an object's motion, but they are not the same. While momentum takes into account the object's mass and velocity, kinetic energy only considers the object's mass and speed. However, the two are related in that a change in an object's momentum will also result in a change in its kinetic energy.