Momentum Loss in Space Shuttle on Re-Entry to Earth

• Thread starter possum30540
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the space shuttle's momentum is converted to thermal energy through friction with the surface molecules upon re-entering the Earth's atmosphere. This thermal energy then causes the surrounding molecules to move faster, conserving the momentum of the system. However, this explanation may not be completely accurate and further research is needed.
possum30540

Homework Statement

As its coming back to Earth from orbit, the space shuttle enters the atmosphere traveling at a speed of roughly 8000 m/s. Just before it lands, its speed has already decreased to about 100 m/s. The gravitational potential energy of the earth-shuttle system has also decreased. Where does all of the shuttle's momentum go?

Homework Equations

There is no equations but knowledge of the spring theory

The Attempt at a Solution

The spring theory is responsible for the loss of momentum. The surface molecules act like spring and turn the kinetic energy into thermal energy through friction causing the shuttle to slow down.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would like to know if I am going in the correct direction with this or not. . .I don't understand why other questions posted after mine are already answered but my question isn't . . . . what more must I do?

Well it would seem that you have grasped the concept of kinetic energy being converted into other forms.
As for the momentum, I would say that the thermal energy heats up the surrounding molecules so they begin to move faster too (conservation of momentum must be conserved), and through friction, the opposing air molecules are being forced downwards.

This is all I can think of for the momentum of the space shuttle, there could be more and my answer might not be completely correct, so please don't accept it as fact.

1. What is momentum loss in the context of a space shuttle re-entry?

Momentum loss refers to the decrease in the velocity of a space shuttle as it enters the Earth's atmosphere during re-entry. This loss of momentum is caused by the shuttle's interaction with the Earth's atmosphere, which creates drag and slows the shuttle down.

2. How does momentum loss impact the re-entry process?

Momentum loss can significantly impact the re-entry process by increasing the shuttle's rate of descent and putting more stress on the shuttle's heat shield. The faster the shuttle is traveling, the more heat is generated during re-entry, making it critical for the shuttle to maintain a controlled rate of descent to prevent damage to the heat shield and other components.

3. Is momentum loss a concern for the safety of the crew during re-entry?

Yes, momentum loss is a major concern for the safety of the crew during re-entry. If the shuttle experiences too much momentum loss, it can lead to a steeper descent and increased heat generation, which can potentially cause the shuttle to break apart or burn up in the atmosphere. It is crucial for the shuttle to maintain a stable descent to ensure the safety of the crew.

4. How is momentum loss mitigated during re-entry?

Momentum loss is mitigated during re-entry through a combination of techniques. Firstly, the shuttle's trajectory is carefully planned to minimize drag and maintain a stable descent. Secondly, the shuttle's heat shield is designed to withstand high temperatures and protect the shuttle from the effects of momentum loss. Finally, the shuttle's thrusters are used to make small adjustments in speed and direction to keep the shuttle on the intended trajectory.

5. Are there any long-term effects of momentum loss on the space shuttle?

Momentum loss can have long-term effects on the space shuttle, such as increased wear and tear on components due to the increased stress during re-entry. However, these effects can be mitigated through regular maintenance and inspections. The overall impact of momentum loss on the space shuttle's lifespan will depend on the severity and frequency of these losses during re-entry.