1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum Problem on a particle

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Force F_x =(10N){sin({(2pi(t))/4.0s) (where t in (m/s) is exerted on a 420 g particle during the interval 0 less than or equal to T is less than or equal to 2 seconds.

If the particle starts at rest what is its speed at t=2 seconds?
    2. Relevant equations

Jx= area under the Fx(t) cureve between Ti and Tf

Pfi-Pix=Jx

3. The attempt at a solution
    This problem looks fairly easy but I am having trouble setting it up. I took the integral of the force over the time interval and got .54817 Ns which should be the impulse. I then used this to find Pfx by the equation above. I then used Vfx=(Pfx/m) to find the final velocity which came out to be 2.19 m/s but its wrong, any insight as to what I did wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2008 #2
    integral of F(t)= impulse= change of momentum= Final momentum, since intial velocity is zero.
    Final momentum devide by the mass, .420kg, would equal the velocity.

I do not have a calculator right now but I am sure this is it :)

oh by the way, when integrating force, you might want to include absolute value around F(t)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  4. Feb 29, 2008 #3
    It keeps on saying my answer is wrong. What am I missing?

5. Feb 29, 2008 #4
    Use this:
    [tex]F=m\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

You know integration, right ?

6. Feb 29, 2008 #5
    Yea I think Im doing it right, after I integrate it I get 12.73 then you say times that by the mass, so 12.73 x .42kg= 5.35. That should be right, could someone double check.

7. Feb 29, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I integrated Fdt from t=0 to t=2 and got (40/pi)*N*sec. Why are you getting .54817Ns? Can you show details?

8. Feb 29, 2008 #7
    I got this on integrating:
    [tex]0.042v=-\frac{2}{\pi}cos(\frac{\pi t}{2})+\frac{2}{\pi}[/tex]

for t=2 it gives v=30.33 m/s.

9. Feb 29, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, impulse=40/pi*Ns=12.73*Ns=m*v. That's good. Don't you want to divide the impulse by the mass to get velocity?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?